Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it bad to watch horror films while pregnant? SUPERSTITIONS

(11 Posts)
LDNmummy Fri 29-Jul-11 22:16:44

My mum just shouted (yes SHOUTED) at me for watching Paranormal Activity 2.

Obviously I saw no issue with it, but she is very superstitious and thinks it will have some affect on the baby hmm

She shouted "switch it off, switch it off!" as if something seriously wrong was going to happen.

Anyone else encountered this or similar superstitions?

EdithWeston Fri 29-Jul-11 22:19:18

Not really - but I really wouldn't recommend "Alien" whilst PG!

notlettingthefearshow Fri 29-Jul-11 22:22:58

I've never heard of that superstition! I have been told off in general for watching horror films (I am somewhat susceptible to nightmares) but not heard of any reason why it's bad in pregnancy!

HidingInTheUndergrowth Sat 30-Jul-11 11:13:53

I think your mum is being a bit hmm

But then last night I watched a film with a particularly scary birth and evil baby in it, which with hindsight really wasn't a great idea grin

mumwithdice Sat 30-Jul-11 11:17:51

Well, I wouldn't recommend watching Rosemary's Baby grin! Having said that, I was in the middle of reading The Midwich Cuckoos when I went for one of DD's scans.

She's fine . . .except those golden eyes are a bit odd wink

Seriously, though, I think it's related to the old medieval superstition that if a mother sees something unpleasant, her baby will look like said unpleasant thing.

LaWeasel Sat 30-Jul-11 11:23:14

Erm nope!

I did go totally off them though, and haven't really fancied them ever since.

ghosteditor Sat 30-Jul-11 11:34:11

This is a very old superstition which states that what a pregnant women experiences can imprint on the baby - was prevalent in the middle ages right up to the Victorian era (and obviously beyond). It's utter rubbish, of course...

Oeisha Sat 30-Jul-11 11:49:54

Utter bollocks. She wouldn't stop you watching a Disney film just because they're awful, saccarine, nauseating pap.

NotJustKangaskhan Sat 30-Jul-11 12:02:35

As others have said, it comes from the concept that what a pregnant woman does with imprint on the baby. The idea is found in a lot of cultures, actually, even these days - a lot of people will say things like there baby/child likes X food because their mum ate a lot of it when pregnant or people who try to play a particular type of music while pregnant in hopes of making the baby a fan. I haven't heard it against horror movies, but I do know of women who try to do more good deeds/give more to charity/go to holy sites while pregnant in hopes of passing on good traits to their child.

milkyways Sat 30-Jul-11 13:50:28

My sister told me not to watch horror films whilst pregnant with DD...it was really hard because I love horror films, and I did try to watch happy things to keep myself positive and happy! Anyway, I don't get time to watch horrors these days with this pregnancy - we've had Tangled in the DVD player for the past 2 months now thanks to DD :D

TBH, Paranormal Activity 2 isn't even scary. It's just like watching CCTV footage for an hour. Part 1 was the scary one!

annekins Sun 31-Jul-11 06:56:00

While I don't think it's bad to watch scary films, I have to say that I'm a lot for sensitive to things now, and there are a lot of things that I won't watch, mainly as I do think they'll make me physically sick and give me nightmares. This pregnancy thing is very bizarre sometimes!

Thanks for the reminder about Alien...DH has bought the blu-ray box set and is planning a marathon this weekend..though I don't think Beauty and the Beast will be an acceptable alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now