Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antenatal appt question - worried!!

(6 Posts)
Noodles81 Fri 29-Jul-11 21:25:35

Hi all,

I'm currently 12wks. I've had a scan and all is fine and had my first booking appt on Monday with the midwife. She took the standard bloods for the usual - HIV, Rubella etc.
She told me that as i'm a little bit chub and my BMI is borderline they will have to make a decision as to whether i am seen my midwife or docs. But my sister-in-law is very much bigger than me and she was cared for my midwives and not referred.

I got a letter this morning saying they have made an appt for me to see an obstetrician at my hosp at the end of Aug. I am now worrying. Is it normal to have this appt with your first? Is it because results have come back and shown something? She told me results take 2 wks and they would write to me if there was something major up. Sister in law said if it was something major they would want to see me sooner than end of Aug.

Am i worrying about nothing? Is it true that we all have an appt with an obstetrician??

woowa Fri 29-Jul-11 21:34:06

I think it's standard practice to see an OBS if you are pregnant. But, you might be classed as "high risk" because of your BMI being borderline, and it'll have to be an obs who decides whether you are high or low risk, that's probably all it is. But, if there is one, call the number on the front of your notes tomorrow, and ask. IME midwives would rather you asked more info than sat and worried for a month about an appointment.

As you said, the midwife did say you might have to see one, so it's probably just that, and if it was something from the tests, your SIL is right, they'd have you in sooner.

HTH

Noodles81 Fri 29-Jul-11 21:36:33

Thank you.

She said to me at the end of the appt that i was classed as low risk but the only concern was my weight so i think im just worrying for nothing!

wompoopigeon Fri 29-Jul-11 21:42:56

I was also referred to a consultant after my MW booking in appt. The reason wasn't the same but I was very very pissed off about it and annoyed to be classifed high risk and not be under midwife care. I had my booking in appt a bit earlier than you- 8 weeks, and a doctor's appt at 13 weeks. A long time to fret.

Anyway, the good news is that I had the appt with the doctor today and it was extremely low key and just ended up with saying, get in contact if you have problems, otherwise I'll see you in November ! So completely underwhelming and not a worry.

Like others say, I don't think it will be to do with any special problem in your results because they would haul you in much sooner. It is more likely, like me, that you have been classified "high risk"- MW will be able to confirm this- but this in itself is not as scary as it sounds.

wompoopigeon Fri 29-Jul-11 21:43:23

Ah, cross posts.

But I do agree you might just be worrying for nothing.

PenguinArmy Sat 30-Jul-11 06:23:35

If the OB has no concerns they'll turf you back over to MWs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now