Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

anyone had a 3rd degree tear and have remaining defects?

(9 Posts)
titferbrains Fri 29-Jul-11 20:43:39

Am pg with #2 and am not sure if I can get away with trying for a VB. I have 2 defects remaining, one in outer sphincter and one in inner sphincter. Am waiting to see perineal team to fully explain how labour will put pressure on these defects (am not giving birth out of my butt am I?) and how dangerous a VB would be. I am very, very, very anti c-sec unless absolutely necessary and have not yet been given info that's convinced me to have one. I am not going to irrationally ignore sensible advice, but I would like to know if there is anyone out there in a similar situation.

Am just a bit impatient with waiting for further info from Perineal and really need to prepare myself mentally for c-sec if required, and try to understand why I feel so angry at the thought of having one. I know I have to let the anger go, but how???

BEfore you redirect me, I've already read about nice c-secs etc and have read about the operation, have seen plenty on tv etc.

BlueKangaroo22 Fri 29-Jul-11 20:59:30

I've had a third degree tear with my first and only pregnancy so far. I have read other threads where women with such tears had to have a c-section the second time around,
I'm fine so far with mine, it has been checked and appears to be healing normally, it was 19 days ago and the stitches are only just starting to fall out.

Marking my place to see what others say

titferbrains Fri 29-Jul-11 21:33:16

Blue, you'll probably find they'll do a perineal scan about 3mo after birth to tell you how you healed and what to do about future labours/births.

Get someone to come with you for the results of that scan.

I think I shd have checked with them before we start to try for baby to find out more about the tear/remaining damage, recommended mode of labour etc. I really cannot remember anything they said as I was still lost in the fog of sleeplessness. The letter detailing results of scan on my file is not that informative, and of course I had very few questions about any future babies as I was still getting over the fact that had my first!

sorry you've had to deal with a tear, hope your heals well! Look after yourself and congrats on baby.

Boosaphena Fri 29-Jul-11 22:07:25

I had a 3rd degree tear with no 1. I was adamant I wanted a Vb for no 2. At home. My first birth was so medicalised I didnt enjoy it and felt I had been a bit cheated. I was also v against c sections unless absolutely nec.
I know my consultant spoke to me about elcs but I said a firm no. I ignored any statistic as I felt I had healed pretty well first time only had mild symptoms I also thought it was prob the forceps that tore me, nit the birth. No2 was born at home in a pool and it was lovely exactly how I wanted it. Until after... He came v quickly with his arm up and cord wrapped around arm and neck. I had another 3rd degree and was blue lighted to hospital where I was repaired. They did a good job but now 17 months on I am still in alot of discomfort and a little incontinent. I am waiting to see what i need doing to repair this. I am also 29 wks with no3! This time I am having an elcs. I figure twice is enough. I have v small babies (5lb7) and I still tear so clearly I'm not built for it!! I have got over my hang up about elcs, and am now in the frame of mind that o just want me and baby safe, and to not run the risk of pooing myself!!!
That said I don't regret my choice for delivery, I wouldnt change my home birth for the world, it was so important to me and i know I would have felt I had missed out had I not done it. I just maybe shouldn't have been so anti all the other options.
Sorry this is a bit of a ramble. I hope it helps.

edwinbear Fri 29-Jul-11 22:54:33

My tear was only 2nd degree, but I also tore internally from the opening up to my cervix and there was a lot of damage from the forceps - they were an hour stitching me up in theatre. I now have a posterior and anterior prolapse. I'm expecting DC2 in Nov and my gynae has said he sees no reason whatsoever why I shouldn't have another VB. He thinks the chances of it making things worse are very slim, I also asked whether I was likely to tear internally where my scar tissue was and he said he didn't think so. He has said a careful decision would need to be made at the time if I need assistance again though, and it would be best to try an avoid another instrumental delivery. So I don't think previous birth traumas automatically mean problems with another VB.

KellyKettle Sat 30-Jul-11 20:25:38

I had a 3rd degree tear in 2009 which was misclassified so only partially repaired.

I have had follow up surgery - twice - which has helped but I'm not perfect.

I am 27 weeks pg with dc2 and planning a HB, despite the defect in my internal anal sphincter.

I have researched. My risk of a repeat tear as bad as the last one is 5-7%. My risk is my risk of a cut with a cs is 100% grin

my colorectal surgeon has okayed my birth plan and my consultant has no objections to it (as long as I take midwife advice if my baby is ill which surely applies to all mums and has nothing to do with a tear?).

I am not scared of tearing again. I'd like to avoid it obviously but I'm trying not to focus on it too much.

I felt angry when I was first told I'd have to have an ELCS too btw. I felt cheated and I couldn't accept it. I eventually spoke to enough people who told me I didn't have to accept it.

Good luck with your plans, I truly hope you have a lovely birth this time round. There's a thread in general health called Ragged Bits for women with continence issues post birth if you want to chat about it. I'll find a link.

KellyKettle Sat 30-Jul-11 20:26:23

KellyKettle Sat 30-Jul-11 20:26:52

Oops - no longer called Ragged Bits - sorry.

titferbrains Sun 31-Jul-11 13:12:31

Fab thanks, I was starting to feel like the only one! Will be chasing things up at hosp next week and really hope that I can talk to someone who can help explain what risks there will be with me having a VB.

Talking to friend who had recent CS yest, and I realised I think the reason I am angry about poss of CS is that it is going to make the adjustment even harder for my DD - I will leave home with a bump, promising a baby on my return, and will come back unable to pick her up or do very much for her, as well as mostly holding baby rather than her. Seems like that will be very upsetting for both of us and also difficult to explain - that mummy has hurt her tummy etc. She is a total ball of energy, loves jumping, physical play, going to playground etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: