Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Does everyone have to have the lucozade challenge?

(14 Posts)
CrazyAlien06 Fri 29-Jul-11 16:03:25

hi ,
im am confused! does everyone have to take the lucozade challenge? only all my pregnant friends seem to have it and I havent even had it mentioned to me... I am 31 weeks..... getting concerned!

Quenelle Fri 29-Jul-11 16:12:10

If you mean the Glucose Tolerance Test no, AFAIK only those whose urine tests show a high level of glucose, or if there have been high risk factors identified.

But don't think you've got away with it yet. I didn't get called for one until I was 35 weeks or so. The MW said it was probably because of the huge chocolate shortbread cookie I ate just before I did my wee sample that week.

CrazyAlien06 Fri 29-Jul-11 16:28:18

lol @ cookie :D I eat soo much sugary stuff! I have called the mw peeps and they said yes I should have had it and to contact the hospital- called 3 different departments and of course no flipping answers!

now got me rather concerned!!

coastgirl Fri 29-Jul-11 16:33:32

I didn't have to have it - one of my samples had a high glucose level (because I'd just eaten a McDonald's apple pie and had a massive Coke! Doh) and they asked me to fast overnight and go in first thing in the morning for a blood test. But when that was OK they didn't take it any further.

CrazyAlien06 Fri 29-Jul-11 16:39:01

hmmm im so confused! the support ive had through this pregnancy is non existant! I didnt have a urine test until 20 odd weeks as I didnt know I had too! my blood test results are not with my doctors or my file apart from the ones that I got myself! total shambles and very concerning!

Quenelle Fri 29-Jul-11 16:51:52

That doesn't sound good CrazyAlien. When is your next MW appointment?

CrazyAlien06 Fri 29-Jul-11 19:58:33

Next appt is 12th aug so couple of weeks yet.

lolajane2009 Sat 30-Jul-11 02:54:37

i only had it as my father is diabetic and i have pcos.

Misty9 Sat 30-Jul-11 04:09:27

I haven't had to have it (34+5) and my bloods have all been ok so far, as have my wee samples (fingers crossed). Helps that this baby doesn't like sweet things and gives me heartburn if I so much as look at a hot chocolate.... I used to live off hot chocolate sad

BelleStar Sat 30-Jul-11 08:00:25

I was asked to drink 200ml (ish) of lucozade one hour before my mw appt at 28 weeks, where I then had the usual blood tests. Nothing to do with urine checks - it's just standard in this area I guess. I also have to go and collect my blood test results from my GP and then take them to the following mw appt. It's because the midwives aren't on the same computer system so they don't have access to the same records.

I imagine that these things vary from place to place and it does make sense that this is done only if there are concerns around your blood sugar levels. Ask at your next appt or call the midwife beforehand, but I wouldn't worry. It seems that 'standard' checks aren't standard at all! Sorry that you've had rubbish support so far and I hope it improves.

CrazyAlien06 Sat 30-Jul-11 08:21:50

Thanks ladies- I'm going to call mw Monday again and see what she says. Apparently it's standard at hospital I've chosen just no one seems to have told me! doesn't help no one answers the phone either!
I need to get my blood results from hospital anyway as they never get seen by anyone .

For my first pregnancy the help/support is terrible - I'm lucky I've had a trouble free pregnancy < touch wood> . dreading labour as no mw numbers to call DH and I are just calling delivery suite and hoping for the best lol

Quenelle Sat 30-Jul-11 14:03:28

Sorry your care has been crap so far. I think you're wise to call your MW. Good luck with the rest of your pg and birth.

Quenelle Sat 30-Jul-11 14:03:28

Sorry your care has been crap so far. I think you're wise to call your MW. Good luck with the rest of your pg and birth.

CrazyAlien06 Sat 30-Jul-11 15:20:39

Thanks for the good luck- I don't actually know who my mw is I'm just going to appts at an overflow clinic type thing! Original assigned mw was terrible!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: