Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any home remedies for constipation?

(31 Posts)
miamama09 Fri 29-Jul-11 15:32:47

Doctor gave me Lactulose, but it's not working. I even increased the dose slightly, but it's not having the desired effect!
Have tried flaxseed, kiwis, more fruit in general, lots of water and increased fiber, walking...

Don't want to have to go back to the doctor, but it's getting soooo uncomfortable...

any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

KatyN Fri 29-Jul-11 15:36:25

I have bran flakes with all bran every day for breakfast.. it's cleared me up.

Have you tried a really strong cup of coffee to get things moving? or how about scaring yourself silly??

kt

CrystalTits Fri 29-Jul-11 15:38:28

Just don't try this

notcitrus Fri 29-Jul-11 15:41:14

Prunes, lots of fruit puree, and in extremis a blob of vaseline on the end of your finger (rubber gloves handy!) to get a stuck bit moving...

Glycerin suppostitories may be available otc if you chat to the chemist.

Folicacid Fri 29-Jul-11 16:07:40

For me, pear nectar with 50% pear puree in it from lidl- no joke. Worked. Searched high and low for it.

Coffee would also work if you can bear it.

TeriHatchetJob Fri 29-Jul-11 16:14:20

Fibrogel - little sachets from the chemist (no need for prescription). Dissolve contents in water and drink. 1 a day. They just add fibre and roughage to make you go.

After suffering for years, this is the only thing that works for me and it does it gently, if you know what i mean.........

Thumbwitch Fri 29-Jul-11 16:19:23

Prune juice and Oatibix were my magic two. Dried apricots help too and make sure you drink enough water.

Stewed apples too. And you could try psyllium husks from the health food shop if you don't get on with the lactulose or fybogel (both of which are vile, IMO)

Thumbwitch Fri 29-Jul-11 16:21:47

I also found that going up and down the stairs a few times helped but it depends how pregnant you are as to how good that would be for you! Low back massage in the same direction as your colon flows would help; and possibly reflexology (someone who does pg reflexology).

Suncottage Fri 29-Jul-11 16:33:26

Squirt of baby oil up yer bum, should also ease it out without discomfort. Grab one of those little plastic syringes that you use for giving a baby medicine and use about a teaspoonful.

miamama09 Fri 29-Jul-11 16:41:07

omg, I didn't know about squirting anything up there! lol maybe as a last resort...

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I am going to get prunce juice tomorrow and also some fibrogel - give these a go. As well as some All-Bran or similar every day for a few days.

Fingers crossed!

MummyAbroad Fri 29-Jul-11 19:05:08

Glycerine suppositories are a better option than baby oil. They are designed for the job. Ask in the pharmacy.

I second the prunes and pears, I would stay away from "unnatural" fibres, like all bran, it doesnt break down in your system, but just forces its way through and you could end up with fissures (which are tears - owch!)

Once you have got the problem sorted, dont forget to add a lot of live yoghurt to your diet too - increasing your intestinal flora helps you break down food properly and keep stools soft.

yummymango Fri 29-Jul-11 19:54:10

Bran flakes for definite. Haven't had it at all since i have been eating it for breakfast, except one day when I had toast instead!

pixiekid Fri 29-Jul-11 21:24:28

my midwife has recommended licorice (natural). Haven't tried yet but will give it a go...

jenniec79 Fri 29-Jul-11 22:05:01

Kiwi juice.

Given in hospital in NZ for constipation when I worked over there - nicer than lactulose, too!

Merinda Fri 29-Jul-11 22:27:55

Dried mango does wonders for me...

Cleverything Fri 29-Jul-11 22:30:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

superjobee Fri 29-Jul-11 22:32:45

orange diluting juice straight out the bottle is meant to help.

BunnyWunny Fri 29-Jul-11 22:36:47

ditto strong coffee

budgieshell Fri 29-Jul-11 22:41:02

Warm fresh orange juice.
Get up earlier than normal and go for a walk.
Go around a show house (the site of tiolets I can not use makes me want to go every time.)

StainlessSteelCat Fri 29-Jul-11 22:44:39

Liquorice - my midwife said that they were not allowed to recommend this any more. She didn't say why, and seemed a bit peeved as it had always been her recommendation in the past. So I have no idea why liquorice shouldn't be taken, but thought I should pass on the warning.

As I hate liquorice anyway, and cba going to the GP for a prescription for lactulose/whatever, I eat lots of dried fruit, especially apricots, and drink lots of water.

Thumbwitch Sat 30-Jul-11 01:45:23

DO NOT TAKE LIQUORICE WHILE PREGNANT.

Although it's quite common in some countries, notably Finland it seems, it is associated with both shorter gestation and possible predisposition to blood glucose disorders later in life. The glycyrrhizin component blocks the protective barrier between the foetus and maternal stress hormones - so if the mum has stress hormones and is on liquorice, those stress hormones go straight through to the foetus and affect its ability to deal with stress hormones cortisol and adrenalin (which are also involved in the control of sugar balance).
effects on stress handling
another one on the effects of intrauterine cortisol
effect on gestational duration - this study started out looking at liquorice and low birth weight but a closer association was found with shorter gestation.

No MW should be recommending liquorice - am a bit shock that one did, tbh.

Rosemallow Sat 30-Jul-11 02:16:22

Prune juice all the way!

Continuum Sat 30-Jul-11 09:02:15

Half a can of prunes when I get up keeps me pretty okay, if things are bad I'll have the other half can before bed. I am absolutely sick of prunes, but they work!

Also very much agree with the strong coffee!

Oeisha Sat 30-Jul-11 12:14:58

I've been told to keep avoiding citrus fruits whlist pg (was originally avoiding due to migraines). Citrus fruits have been linked to digestive problems for pg women, as well as an increased in antenatal headaches (both GP and MW mentioned it as I have non-specific IBS).

About a small glass of prune juice a day helps me, as does increasing fluids generally and eating a lot of fruits and salads (baby seems to like me grazing on fruit). I usually mix the jiuce in with some 'Innocent Smootie' (other brands available no doubt) as I really dislike the taste of dried fruits solo - they make me gag.

Like others I find the bulking effect of allbran etc undesirable and have had occasional tears thanks to too much of this type of thing - seriously, bloody hurts for days whilst it heals.

Natural yogs also do me no favours whatsoever - causing cramping and runs, but if it works, go for it!

miamama09 Mon 01-Aug-11 09:24:26

tried the coffee, not worked yet.
Fibrogel - tried once, it is minging! urgh, don't know if I can bring myself to try it again...

will keep going with the prune juice and increased fruits, fluids etc...
all this, along with constant headaches and chesty cough.... I am not in a good mood! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now