Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how are you keeping? agghhhhh!

(7 Posts)
lucindapie Fri 29-Jul-11 13:09:39

is it just me or does anyone else find that since becoming pregnant people no longer ask how are you, but how are you keeping instead? I have no idea why. My mum is the worst for this constantly using it, for some reason it drives me mad!!!

Renaissance227 Fri 29-Jul-11 14:08:40

I get that all the time too but it only bothers me on the days I'm feeling like crap! I've just started giving people a run down of all my horrible problems on those days and they soon shut up.

ShowOfHands Fri 29-Jul-11 14:10:22

Bastards, showing an interest in you. Have your tried punching them squarely on the nose?

KatyN Fri 29-Jul-11 15:35:22

it is odd the change of phrase isn't it.. I hadn't really clicked but I've got a few friends who keep asking 'how I'm keeping' rather than how i'm doing/feeling/etc.

As the only other option as an opening statement is to comment how big I am I might stick with the 'how I'm keeping' one!

notcitrus Fri 29-Jul-11 15:37:50

I suspect it's because they know if they ask 'how are you' you might tell them and they don't want to know!

Though I've recently had neighbours (who have probably overheard us talking in the garden) ask 'how are you' with a meaningful stare at my admittedly-already-pregnant-looking tummy.
Roll on another couple weeks and hopefully I'll be able to share good news.

candr Fri 29-Jul-11 16:05:08

I don't mind the 'how are you keeping' it was the 'well done' from people when we told them that made me giggle. It made me think 'do you realise what you are saying well done to? - yes we had sex and are clearly good at it thanks!'

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 29-Jul-11 19:39:22

Well, don't get too used to them asking about your wellbeing...because once the baby arrives they won't ask about you any more (until you are a vessel for their next grandchild, of course!).

I'm only half-joking!

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now