Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Elective CS

(4 Posts)
mummymccar Fri 29-Jul-11 11:58:37

I should say first that I am only 10 weeks so there is plenty of time for me to think about this but...
Ever since I can remember I've wanted children, but along with that has always been feelings of abject terror towards labour. Since I got pregnant (this is my first) I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I am absolutely convinced that I am going to die during a natural labour; I know how insane that sounds, but I've even written a will just in case as I can't get it out of my head. I actually feel like I'm struggling to enjoy being pregnant because I feel as though I have an axe hanging over my head. I can't wait to be a mum, I already love this little bean more than I thought possible, I can't wait to meet him or her, and I've been having gorgeous dreams about BF my newborn, but I just wish I could skip the birth!
I was violently sexually assaulted by two guys when I was a teenager and since then I've struggled with internal exams, smears, and even sex. When I was googling natural births earlier I went very dizzy and nearly vomited at the thought of people I don't know touching me 'down there'. I do want a natural birth, but I'm not sure if I'd psychologically be able to handle it. I know that an elective CS is very unpopular so I'm reluctant to do that either, but the baby has to come out somehow! As I said I'm early days but I have my booking appointment on monday and I'm not sure whether the midwife will ask me about this so I thought I'd better think about it before I got there.
If anyone has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it - please be nice!

MissRee Fri 29-Jul-11 12:38:11

Your MW probably won't mention the birth with you this early on... Afaik, you don't discuss birthing/plans until around 34 weeks!!! If you feel that strongly about it though, it's worth mentioning it now so that it's in your notes.

Ria x

mummymccar Fri 29-Jul-11 12:39:42

Thank you! That's a relief then, I was worried that she was going to start asking me my initial thoughts this early on!

MerylStrop Fri 29-Jul-11 12:44:06

Everybody feels like you do to a certain extent. But with your history and your strong reactions I am sure that you will be able to get some help. I think you need to tackle this head on. There are definitely people here who can advise - do a search under tokophobia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now