Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hip pain when sleeping on my side

(16 Posts)
Crosshair Fri 29-Jul-11 11:51:05

Hi,

Im only 17+5 and for the past two nights Ive had a strong, painful ache in my hip when I sleep on that side.

First night it kept waking me up, second I put a pillow under me, which made it alot better but its still not that comfortable. Anything I can do or is it just one of those things? I havent been laying on my back as that hurts too. confused

KatyN Fri 29-Jul-11 11:52:49

I've found I need a pillow between my knees rather than under my hips.. it kinda straightens out my hips and reduces the pain.

alas only reduces!

RunnerHasbeen Fri 29-Jul-11 11:57:04

I bought a pregnancy support pillow and it really helped, I can tell the nights I've wriggled out of the right position as the hip pain is back, I have had it since about 15 weeks. The cushion tilts my torso slightly as well as going between my knees. I am also going to the pre-natal physiotherapy on offer, so hoping that will help even more - my midwife tells me this is what it is for (I wasn't sure I was bad enough).

flimflammery Fri 29-Jul-11 12:00:27

I get hip pain lying on my side on some mattresses (and I'm not even pregnant!). I'm fine since I got a memory foam mattress topper, I would recommend them.

Crosshair Fri 29-Jul-11 12:14:05

Ive got a memory form mattress topper already.smile Ive been sticking the covers between my legs as I cant stand them touching and having my legs off to the sides seemed to make it worse.

I'll have alook at investing in some extra pillows! Thanks for your replies.

humph123 Fri 29-Jul-11 14:20:46

my hips ached when i was heavily pregnant. i would lie on my side with a pillow under the bump and a pillow between my legs. it did help slightly although you do end up getting into a fight with your pillows when you want to swap sides!

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 29-Jul-11 19:45:11

I had this for about ten days at around 10 weeks in this pregnancy (my second).

Then it disappeared and hasn't come back so far (38 weeks).

GP said it was fine to take paracetemol. If it continues, seek physio or talk to your midwife. Friends who've had full-on SPD have sworn by the private physio route.

I didn't do anything specific other than, once I was over morning sickness, returning to my yoga/Pilates, which may have helped.

Crosshair Fri 29-Jul-11 19:49:17

Its nice knowing theres a chance it might fix itself, was starting to think I had months of poor sleep ahead of me. Hopefully it wont get any worse, I didnt think this sort of stuff happened untill you where huge!

smile

BionicEmu Sat 30-Jul-11 11:28:03

I had the same thing start at about 18 weeks. I got a spare double duvet, doubled it over and put that on top of the mattress. It didn't completely stop the pain, but meant it took a lot longer for it to start. (In addition to a number of pillows here, there and everywhere!)

I have pre-existing spinal problems and ended up with SPD too, I totally agree with asking for physio. If at all possible, try and ask to see one with ante-natal experience.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

MrsBakerNeeld Sat 30-Jul-11 13:01:23

I echo what BionicEmu said, a spare duvet under your normal sheet can really help cushion your hips.

Strangely enough, I found that a firmer, more supportive mattress helped alleviate my back and hip pain smile

Sandra2011 Sat 30-Jul-11 18:01:56

I had the same with my last pregnancy.

I actually folded a single duvet under my sheet and it was soooo comfortable.

It looked a bit silly as my husbands side was about 10cm lower but hey it worked smile

goodnightmoon Sat 30-Jul-11 20:07:01

i put a pillow under my hips and another between my legs but am still in pain. i really don't know the answer! i have a bit of SPD so can't really do stretches that would help relieve it. we're getting a new mattress though so maybe that will help.

nothingsoextraordinary Sun 31-Jul-11 17:19:48

It might be worth checking out the pelvic pain support network:
http://www.pelvicpain.org.uk/
I have no idea if you have it (I do) but if so, you're far better to know ahead of time and do as little as possible to aggravate the condition. I moved house and bitterly regret all the lifting and bending.

Crosshair Sun 31-Jul-11 19:09:30

I have a sleeping bag somewhere, will try sleeping on that tonight with the pillow between my knees.

Thanks for the link pelvic wise Im ok so far, its mainly my back if I walk alot and my hips when I lay down. Feel like Im getting old before my time. smile

daimbardiva Mon 01-Aug-11 10:38:54

I use a v-shaped pillow and put in between my legs, and under my hip, if that makes sense. Having my legs separated a bit seems to help.

pruney1977 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:40:05

I started with a pillow inbetween my legs and now have one behind my back and that works a treat! Just ordered a feather bolster pillow as one night DH ripped the pillow out from behind my back and I fell onto my back (he likes to hug pillows but he'll be hard pushed to pull a 6ft long bolster away from me!). I also make sure the one behind my back comes up to cushion my shoulders. It means that I'm not exactly lying hip on hip, but I can relax back a bit. Works for me but everyone is different. DH has just come back after a week away and whilst he was away I experimented with a few things (hugging a duvet etc) but this way worked best for me. Can't wait to get the bolster as currently having to make do with one pillow at the back whereas when DH was away, I lined my back with all his pillows too - bliss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now