Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby not reacting to torchlight on bump

(10 Posts)
Asturimama Wed 27-Jul-11 17:57:37

Hello everyone,

Basically that's it. I am now 32 weeks pregnant and I've tried shining a torch on my bump on different days to get a reaction as I've seen suggested in other threads/books, but nothing happens.

Anyone else had this and can reassure me?

BranchingOut Wed 27-Jul-11 17:59:07

I have never heard about that...

Maybe they are already facing head towards your back (good position for birth!)? Or asleep.

If you are still feeling lots of movements then everything should be fine.

hubbahubster Wed 27-Jul-11 18:01:33

Didn't work for me either, and as far as I can tell, one week old DS's eyesight is fine. I wouldn't worry! The cold drink thing never made him wiggle as a bump either - each baby's different!

CBear6 Wed 27-Jul-11 18:02:27

DS never reacted to the torch on the bump trick and so far DD (33 weeks) isn't at all bothered by it either. I think they're all different and it also depends on which way they're facing, where your placenta is, whether they have their eyes open/closed at the time you're trying it, and whether they can be bothered to move smile

So long as you're feeling movement don't worry about it, I however you're trying it because you've noticed a change in movement then contact the maternity assessment unit and arrange to go in for a CTG.

Asturimama Wed 27-Jul-11 18:04:34

Thanks a lot for the quick replies and reassurance, I though I was probably worrying about nothing, but these pregnancy hormones don't help....

As far as movements goes he is quite a wriggler so I guess all should be fine! grin

candr Wed 27-Jul-11 19:02:32

I have not tried the torch but I swear he moves more when I have a top over my tummy. If I lift it for DH to see movement it reduces slightly which does give me a bit of a break.

LDNmummy Wed 27-Jul-11 19:25:34

My baby seems to go completely still if I shine a torch on my belly. I am 30 weeks now and have tried this a few times over the last few weeks.

She is VERY active usually and even if she is moving around when I shine the torch on my belly, she will just stop moving. Maybe some baby's just don't like it. I have stopped doing it because I think she doesn't like it.

LDNmummy Wed 27-Jul-11 19:26:56

candr I have also noticed that with mine, wasn't sure if it was just me being paranoid though.

CrazyAlien06 Wed 27-Jul-11 19:50:09

candr my baby does exactly the same! My theory is that he/she likes the warmth :0) just like mummy likes hot sunny holidays lol

lolajane2009 Thu 28-Jul-11 00:18:36

i'm 32 weeks and it doesnt work for me either. baby moves a lot with music or me singing mostly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now