Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gifts for pregnant friends while pregnant also

(18 Posts)
cravingcake Wed 27-Jul-11 17:14:39

I'm currently 26 wks and have 3 other friends who are pregnant also within 10 weeks of each other (first one due in just a few weeks). In the past I've brought gifts for friends when they've had babies and want to get these girls something as well but dont know how much to spend, or quite what would be most appreciated as this is my first and 2 of the others are having their 2nd. I'm godmother for one and was bridesmaid for another so with all my pregnancy hormones I'm not sure what is most appropriate.

We all earn very different amounts and so I dont want them to feel they have to buy me something back that they cant afford just to match what I get them. I'm not so keen on vouchers but this will be my last resort option as I know they will at least use them.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

notlettingthefearshow Wed 27-Jul-11 17:57:05

I've always bought something for the first baby but not the second, since they probably have tons by then, spending up to 10-15. I've usually got clothes or a photo frame, as it doesn't matter if they already have lots. I think the difficulty is getting the size right - I never buy anything until the baby is born and you know how much it weighes.

Alternatively, for some of my friends I've also bought something for themselves, like a fab mascara (for a friend who would never be seen without it) or posh toiletries - a little treat.

Like with all present-buying, there is no one gift that suits everyone. For friends who are short of money I would be more likely to be generous and give a voucher or find out what they need. Similarly, for friends who don't have a lot of space, I would only buy something tiny/known to be useful/vouchers as I know they have no room for non essentials.

WiiUnfit Wed 27-Jul-11 18:17:01

We really liked the personal gifts people bought - photo frames, their favourite childhood book, photo albums .etc.

We also received this from DP's cousin - personalised baby outfit that is absolutely lovely smile

del1 Wed 27-Jul-11 22:45:09

I've had a boy and a girl, so trying to think what I liked?

If they have the same sex baby, then they will probably have enough clothes from the first, if you know that they have kept stuff.
If they have opposite sex, then something in either blue or pink is a nice change from what you're used to.
I did get fed up of teddies to be honest, and flowers. ( that sounds ungratefull)
Im due to have number 3 in about 5 weeks, and have pretty much everything already.

Hampers are always handy, and also a nice thought.
someone got a small wicker basket, put blue tissue in the bottom and filled it with nappies, wipes, cotton wool, bath wash for baby. And put a magazine, bottle of wine,beer, ear plugs, and jelly sweets for us. with a blue ribbon around it.
I actualy loved this, as time and thought had gone into it.
Someone else got us a mini photo album, so I could take it out whilst visiting family / friends etc.

As WiiUnfit said, personal gifts did it for me. The personalised baby outfits are great too, as you can keep them for ever.

PelvicFloorOfSteel Wed 27-Jul-11 22:52:38

If they're having second babies something for the older child works well. When I had DS2 a friend bought some make your own picture frame kits for DS1 and they were brilliant, kept him entertained for quite a while and when he'd finished he was able to frame a picture of himself with his little brother.

For friends expecting their first if I had no idea what they did/didn't have I've made up a small medicine kit (infacol, calpol, teething gel) along with some pampering stuff for the mum. My logic is that most people need calpol eventually and you don't want to be running out at midnight to get it (which is when all babies invariably get their first high temp).

I don't think anyone ever minds being asked what they might need, it's definitely preferable to having too many tiny babygros! smile

CBear6 Thu 28-Jul-11 09:34:35

I made a gift bag for my brother and SIL - a soft blanket, some ready mixed cartons of milk (I knew in advance they were FF), nappies, wipes, baby toiletries, etc. My other brother and his DP are expecting a baby at the same time as I am and I'm just going to do the same again, the things in the hamper are going to get used and they come in handy.

TerrysNo2 Thu 28-Jul-11 09:44:53

Depends on your budget but one of my favourite presents when I'm pregnant is a voucher for (or towards) a pregnancy massage.

cravingcake Thu 28-Jul-11 10:34:46

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I like the hamper idea as I can then put different things into each one for what is most suitable to them and wont be too expensive making them feel they have to do the same when my turn comes. I can put something for their older child in there also so its a gift for the whole family then. Brilliant ideas, thanks loads.

cravingcake Thu 28-Jul-11 10:39:29

TerrysNo2 - one of them is having her birthday and I have already booked her a pregnancy massage for that. Last time she was pregnant it was over christmas (she was due on 20th but her DD didnt arrive until the 27th) so I got her a spa day to enjoy once the baby had arrived, and as its no fun to go on your own I also splashed out for me to join her as well - was the best gift she said she's ever had.

MrsSawyer Thu 28-Jul-11 11:41:25

Im going to describe this so bear with me. My mum works with someone who is very artistic and my mum was telling how im pregnant (34 weeks today - yippee!) and she wanted to do/get something for me that was practical, so she made the following for me.

She got 64 pampers nappies and rolled them up individually and made them into tiers like a wedding cake, securing them with elastic, (my bundle has 3 layers) and then put things inbetween the nappies on the 'cake' such as baby shampoo, baby bath, brush set, she wrapped some bibs around some of the nappies, talc, her friend made a dummy clip, little shoes (from asda), scratch mittens, babygros, little socks (that she made to look like roses!) and then on the top put a blue bunny (as we know its another boy), put in all on a cake board and wrapped it in cellophane. It is stunning, absolutely beautiful and i know i will use every single thing in it. btw, it cost mum £35.00, but you could tailor it to whatever suits your budget.

Hope all that made sense.

LizzyMathsWhizzy Thu 28-Jul-11 15:11:30

My mum always told me to get something for the mum, cos the baby has everything it needs. When my friends have babies I always get them a nice bath/shower set, which they always seem to appreciate. I think it is too easy to fall into the trap of buying another teddy or more socks etc, when what they really want is for you to pop round and take an interest. I'm pregnant now, and absolutely dreading all the stuff we're likely to be given when the baby comes. Our house isn't very big, and we don't need stuff! People popping round would be lovely though!

cravingcake Thu 28-Jul-11 15:18:21

MrsS, that sounds really cool. I have a friend who is a very talented florist and taught me how to make baby sock roses, although mine are no way near as good as hers - I just didnt know if people actually want this sort of thing and find it useful or if it goes along the lines of 'another blue/pink teddy bear'. I guess if there's practical stuff in it then it's appreciated and especially if its presented all lovely. I can feel a creative 'blue peter' weekend coming on :-)

MrsSawyer Thu 28-Jul-11 16:19:54

i wish i cud upload a picture of it, but my phones rubbish. It really does have everything practical in it and is much nicer (imo) than getting some willow tree thing or a pot winnie the pooh money box! Particularly if its a 2nd child, think "practical" at every opportunity! Have fun this weekend and post a picture please.

Fresh01 Thu 28-Jul-11 17:02:19

If you are going to do a hamper things like vests and socks get used heaps and never seem to last much more than one child - well you store them for the second/third then when you take them out to use they just look well worn : )

Classic childhood books are always lovely.

If someone has an older child I tend to give the older one a cheap colouring book - you get them for a pound or so in supermarkets etc and wrap it up so they feel like they are getting something. Preschoolers don't know the value of anything so just like the fact it is something for them.

WiiUnfit Thu 28-Jul-11 18:32:14

yy to the hamper! Maybe add some of Mum's favourite chocolates / some radox or similar. I would have loved that!

KatyN Fri 29-Jul-11 10:55:17

I totally love the idea of getting something for mum... I always buy for the baby (and siblings if they have any and spend about a tenna on the baby and up to 5 on each sib). Quick bit of maths makes that a bottle of channel nail varnish for mum (once she can reach her feet again).

I do hope my friends are reading this..

cookie9 Fri 29-Jul-11 11:40:34

I made a nappy cake for my friend which she loved. There are instructions on the Internet on how to make them. Save up your rubber bands. Use a large bottle of baby lotion or shampoo as the centre to build around and you cab also pick up travel sized versions, dummies, bibs etc. I asked a local florist if I could buy some cellophane from her and then got some ribbon so it looked professional.

MrsSawyer Sat 30-Jul-11 09:59:58

yes cookie9, thats exactly it! She saw the idea on youtube, search "nappy cake", she put a bottle of talc n the midddle and built around that, it also came in cellophane and tied with blue ribbons, looked beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now