Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nursing chairs

(23 Posts)
Blobby11 Wed 27-Jul-11 12:58:52

Hi
Has anyone got a Sereno Nursing Glider or a Supremo Bambino one? I've been looking at both on Ebay and I'm wondering whether they are so much cheaper than Dutailier for a reason?
Thanks

DrSeuss Thu 28-Jul-11 12:58:50

I don't want to be rude or a wet blanket but do you really need a nursing chair at all? Hopefully you will be able to BF longterm but it may not work out for you. Why not buy a horseshoe cushion from ebay, then you can feed anywhere in the house? IMHO, BF-ing will be more successful for you if you can just take your pillow around with you so that you can watch TV, feed in bed or during dinner. Why not take the money and get something that is for YOU, such as a spa day or some new clothes post baby? As a new mum, there are an infinite number of bits and pieces that are for sale but really aren't that necessary.

EauRouge Thu 28-Jul-11 13:08:59

You may not need a chair or a pillow, you only really need breasts to BF successfully grin We just bought an old rocking chair but never even used it. A sofa is much better for the early days because you can lie down. BF can take a bit of practice in the first few weeks but once you get the hang of it you can do it anywhere, it's so convenient.

BikeRunSki Thu 28-Jul-11 13:17:30

A friend of mine leant me one. I did not bf (long story, not through want of trying) but you still need somewhere to sit down at bed time and in the middle of the night. I'd recommend getting one, although have no idea of the make of the one we borrowed. There was someone on MN very recently selling a Dutailier one for £30.

lightsandshapes Thu 28-Jul-11 13:44:29

I have just bought a sereno one but not assembled it yet - will report back, but I think it's useful even for putting your feet up and relaxing pre-birth..... I'm 27 weeks x

notcitrus Thu 28-Jul-11 13:50:44

I'm insisting on a rocking chair this time round (didn't have one for ds, managed to bf for over a year in the end).
Friends tell me that it's a really personal thing depending on the shape of the chair and your back, and expense doesn't make much difference. I sat on all 4 of the Dutailler ones in John Lewis and the cheapest one (half the price of the most expensive) was the best for me.

I don't plan to feed in it mostly but want a rocking chair for those nights trying to settle a grouchy baby/toddler that doesn't want feeding. And for just sitting in. smile

Personally I found the strap-on nursing pillow 'My Brest Friend' invaluable after other cushions etc just didn't work for me.
Good luck!

benne81 Thu 28-Jul-11 14:21:51

I'm a first timer 31 weeks pregnant and so don't have a clue but I have been told to avoid getting a rocking chair as it gets the baby uses to rocking to get to sleep and causes later sleeping issues. I have instead bought a nice chair (excuse for me to spend a bit of cash on a nice bit of furniture - secondhand old leather chestfield) for the nursery so that I have somewhere to sit in the middle of the night when I'm trying to get him/her back to sleep and so I'm not trapzing round the flat waking DH up (we live in london and therefore not got a massive flat).

citymonkey Thu 28-Jul-11 14:26:36

We have ordered one - I don't plan to rock the baby to sleep or while feeding as someone said above, don't want it to get used to this, but it can be locked in a non-rocking position. I just found it so comfy for me to sit in!!

PhyllisDiller Thu 28-Jul-11 14:33:03

There seem to be quite a few nursing chairs on e-bay, a lot of them marked ‘hardly used’. That has always made me wonder how much use they get, lots of people seem to say they are selling them because they need the space!

I was given a wooden rocking chair, I don’t rock when I’m feeding though as I put my feet up and then I’m just at the right angle, it is very comfy.

So far in-between pregnancy’s it has been used as the story reading chair, taking pictures of DC’s chair, and the chair I sit in now that I am tired, pg (again) and huge.

Sorry OP...that doesn't in any way answer your question........

MummyAbroad Thu 28-Jul-11 15:38:25

I got bought a rocking chair, an old fashioned wooden thing not designed especially for nursing. It was great for night time rock to sleep sessions BUT I cant wait to throw it out for this new baby - the effing thing gave me so many bruises everytime I bumped into the feet of it in the dark.

If you do get one, look for one that doesnt have giant sticky out feet that you will constantly trip over/bump into - and get a good dimmer switch or night light so you can see where you are going!

EauRouge Thu 28-Jul-11 16:00:43

"I have been told to avoid getting a rocking chair as it gets the baby uses to rocking to get to sleep and causes later sleeping issues."

Don't worry, you've been told utter rubbish wink no evidence at all for babies 'getting used' to being picked up, rocked, fed on cue etc etc. so don't worry about doing any of those things if they work for you and your baby.

Blobby11 Thu 28-Jul-11 16:05:55

Thanks for the tips everyone, particularly MummyAbroad as I am very prone to walking into things so I'll definitely watch out for sticky out feet!

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 28-Jul-11 16:54:25

IMHO much more important than a feeding chair was a good footstool!

MsChanandlerBong Thu 28-Jul-11 17:44:06

Like Benne81 I have used BF for an excuse to get some old chairs renovated (my Mum bought them when she was pregnant with me so I do have a sentimental attachment!) but I was wondering about a footstool. MrsBloomingTroll, at the risk of sounding ignorant, do you need a footstool? Or is it just something that is nice to have to put your feet up?!

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 28-Jul-11 17:46:39

It might be personal preference, but for the looooong feeds in the early days, having my feet up was the only way I could be comfortable.

MsChanandlerBong Thu 28-Jul-11 18:15:10

That makes sense... so I will take that as a good excuse to get a footstool to go with my lovely new chairs wink

wompoopigeon Thu 28-Jul-11 19:14:56

Like notcitrus I didn't have one last time and I am definitely buying one this time. We have a very uncomfy sofa with no back support, and I started off with musculoskeletal problems and they just got worse and worse. So I am keen for a vaguely ergonomic chair to sit in both in pg and beyond. Even if they are ugly and take up room.

As to the OP's original question, I have sat in five different nursing chairs recently and they were all basically the same as far as I could see!

MummyAbroad Thu 28-Jul-11 21:24:51

MrsBloomingTroll can you tell us more about the footstool? I "failed" at breastfeeding last time (long story) and am looking for any gadgets that will help second time around. I've read elsewhere that footstools are highly recomended but will any kind do? What do you think of this?

or can i get away with my three year-- olds potty step? blush

sorry for the thread hijack OP!

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 29-Jul-11 19:33:45

Sorry for lack of reply!

I just used a small table last time, but it wasn't very comfortable. A bog-standard footstool would have worked fine for me. I don't think an expensive nursing chair/footstool combo is necessary, unless you can pick one up on eBay for a good price.

Eviepoo Fri 29-Jul-11 20:19:23

I have a cheaper one I got on Amazon (only because I got vouchers from work as a prize for a project type thing) It wasn't one of the cheapest ones but by far from the most expensive.

I basically wanted a nice comfy chair and footstool (was about £160ish) DH and DD also love it and I have to fight to get in it!!
At 37w I've still not tried for bf yet...

It's up to you but I have had no problems with the one I got.

TheTeaLady Wed 03-Aug-11 21:56:41

I don't know about the brands you mentioned... but I got a Dutailier glider chair and footstool for first baby.
100 quid on ebay.
Got it when I was about 6 or 7 months preg and it saved my aching, aching back and legs. It has fantastic back support.
I found our low sofa just about impossible to get up from when I was big and after a long labour, especially when trying to hold the baby.
I didn't find it that easy to feed in the chair at the start (My Brest Friend cushion is great) but in was excellent for middle of the night rocking.
Dad and gran also love it!
And it has pockets for the remote controls. Vital at 5 a.m.
I hope we'll have room for it for a long time.

TheTeaLady Wed 03-Aug-11 21:59:06

BTW, the footstool also rocks along gently in sync with the chair so there's no drag/pull on your feet, legs or knees. It's lovely and makes it easy to balance baby on your knee when your arm has gone to sleep!

Blobby11 Wed 03-Aug-11 23:49:11

Well I went for the Serano in the end - £120 with footstool - and so far I'm really pleased. I'm 37 weeks and suffering from swollen feet so loving chilling in my new chair with my feet up. Who knows whether I'll use it for breastfeeding but happy with it as a chair just for me anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now