Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

eggs

(11 Posts)
madeindevon2 Wed 27-Jul-11 12:51:26

who eats poached egg with runny yoke when pregnant?

Lisaklf Wed 27-Jul-11 13:21:48

I have - as long as the white isn't snotty. Have also eaten pate, brie and salami, expecting social care banging on the door fairly soon smile

Snowgirl1 Wed 27-Jul-11 17:04:15

Aren't eggs with the lion mark salmonella free now? Eggs with the lion mark have been laid by chickens that have been vaccinated against salmonella according to the lion mark website http://www.lioneggs.co.uk/page/lionmark

In which case, runny yolks shouldn't be an issue smile

JennyPiccolo Wed 27-Jul-11 17:07:05

i ate them. The risk of getting food poisoning is very slight.

madeindevon2 Wed 27-Jul-11 17:11:09

Good I was thinking same. I'm still eating them but a fellow pregnant lady was telling me it's dangerous and her Mw said don't.
Glad it's not just me smile

notlettingthefearshow Wed 27-Jul-11 18:00:18

I started off being really careful, but had some runny scrambled eggs the other day as I can't abide them dried out.

I agree with Snowgirl1. And I think some of the eating advice pregnant women are given needs to be updated - after all, you're not supposed to eat unpasturised products, and have you ever heard of someone getting sick after eating parmesan?!

shipsladyg Fri 29-Jul-11 11:10:55

I eat runny yolks and uncooked cake batter grin My eggs tend to be lion marked so I'm not fussed. In fact, so long as I trust the source & how it's been stored then I've generally pooh-poohed the dietary restrictions. After all I've not heard of anyone getting listeria from Stilton... Things like liver paté i am more careful with but only because of the VitA content. Luckily though i am capable of doing a bit of math's and working out RDA so again, im not that militant about avoiding pâté. I do think some of the pregnant food "laws" assume that you're are thick and incapable of good judgement.

My mother in law hates that I'm so relaxed about it.

madeindevon2 Fri 29-Jul-11 11:31:38

smile shipsl. I'm with you.... Sometimes common sense needs to prevail.

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Fri 29-Jul-11 19:55:16

I have eaten loads of salami! Are you not meant to? Oooops!

NorthernChinchilla Sat 30-Jul-11 10:48:22

Same here, although to reduce the already teeny tiny risk I only eat the red lion marked ones. I love my soft-boiled/poached etc eggs, and was not going to give them up.
Even the nice doctor on the BBC's morning news programme was saying the other week that all the people who could potentially be at risk- so those with compromised immune systems, etc- were fine to eat them as they were salmonella-free.

I've also cheerfully munched various other verboten foods though, and am looking forward to my weekend treat of a pint of cider tonight!

deemented Sat 30-Jul-11 10:57:28

Oh gosh, theres nowt as delicious as a fried egg butty, made with fresh floury white bread, slathered with Welsh salted butter, and the egg white hard but the yolk really runny so that when you bite into it, the yolk dribbles down your chin....Mmmmm.

Guess what i fancy for lunch? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now