Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How early did you feel your baby move?

(27 Posts)
PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 22:58:25

With ds 1+2 it was a definite kick about 18 weeks.
I am 10+2 with dc3 and I'm sure I can feel squirming!!
Could be gas, but doesn't really feel like that. Anyone else had this experience?

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:05:59

Giant wiggling pooh???blush

ShowOfHands Tue 26-Jul-11 23:10:07

Wind...

The baby is 3cm long and weighs a couple of grams. It is also hidden deep inside your pelvis. It's highly, highly unlikely to be the baby.

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:31:21

SOH, I have definitely felt poohs that's were smaller than that wink
I'm quite skinny, so my pelvis isn't THAT deep lol!! X

ImBrian Wed 27-Jul-11 08:25:04

DD1- 18 weeks, could see belly twitch. DD2&3- 17 weeks, again could see them move. This DD i thought I could feel her at 14/15 weeks and saw it at 16 weeks. I think 10 weeks might be a bit early though my sister whos a midwife swears blind she felt hers move at 12 weeks.

Mum2be79 Wed 27-Jul-11 08:27:03

I'm 17 weeks and 4 days today and I'm sure I can feel something like rolling or flips inside my tummy. It's DC1 so how likely?
And another thing, DC1 likes to do this at 4am!!!

ShowOfHands Wed 27-Jul-11 09:00:22

I'm sure your pelvis is deep enough to fit a 3cm long baby in it! And please tell me you aren't gestating this baby in your rectum because I'm all for individuality but if you're feeling it move in there, you need to tell him/her pregnancy is an endurance test for the mother only.

Seriously, I think around 14 or 15 weeks is normal for a subsequent pregnancy. Once your uterus is out of your pelvis.

Mum2be, I could definitely feel dd from 17 weeks. Quite low down and very subtle at first.

KateeTheBump Wed 27-Jul-11 09:08:52

I felt mine (first) for a couple of days at 9 weeks (DP felt it too) and it was exactly the same sensations I got at 16 weeks, which were confirmed by SIL as baby.

SOH you may poo-poo it, but every person is different and will feel things differently. If you feel movement on the front of your belly how can it be digestion when the uterus is in front of your intestines? You don't have wind percolating around your whole body? Surely its more to do with how close the baby happens to be to your skin at the time, however small it is.

mandoo Wed 27-Jul-11 09:12:56

I am 17 weeks and can feel the baby really lightly and very low down, when I am lying down and totally still. I wouldn't know that it was the baby if I had not had a previous pregnancy. I also get wind too so can tell the difference.

ShowOfHands Wed 27-Jul-11 09:32:02

I didn't poo poo it. I said it was highly unlikely. grin

My point was that your uterus ISN'T in front of your intestines at 9 weeks in the way it is a couple of months later, it's still down in the pelvic cavity. The baby is nowhere near your skin at that point, it's a 2g tiny mass hidden down in your pelvis, and deep inside you and you still feel the normal rumbles of digestion in your lower abdomen. And they feel different because the pregnancy hormones slow down your digestion. I can see why people erroneously think it's a baby at 9 weeks.

This picture here shows you how far back a 9 week pregnancy is in your body. Compare this to 16 weeks which is still extremely early to feel movement but distinctly and anatomically quite possible.

justabigdisco Wed 27-Jul-11 09:44:05

16 weeks for me, just occasional windy feelings, now 19 weeks and feeling it every day, tis great

KateeTheBump Wed 27-Jul-11 09:51:23

To be fair it was low down that I felt it at 9 weeks, and was a) when the car seat belt was pressing against that part of my abdomen (felt like bubbles rising) and b) a day or two later when I was lying in a twisted position in bed grin

Ta for the piccies SOH, now I just need to find the 28 week one and find out how squashed up my stomach is - answer, probably very! smile

ShowOfHands Wed 27-Jul-11 10:00:33

Katee, you don't need a 28 week pic. Just look down... grin

At 9 weeks, unless it's a multiple pregnancy, you can't feel it from the outside. Even a hcp can't palpate your uterus. It physically can't press against the outside and therefore can't stimulate nerve endings. Your intestines and digestive processes at 9 weeks are extremely active though and sensitive to being pressed from the outside. Makes them bubble in fact and this you can feel!

I could just about accept the very, very tiny chance that you can feel something teeny tiny quite early on but when you say your dp can feel it too from the outside, well that suggests to me it's, er, a load of poo. Literally.

Macaroona Wed 27-Jul-11 10:04:12

18 weeks-ish for me, been wriggling and punching me for about a week. Love it! Except today when it doesn't seem to want to dance sad

HPonEverything Wed 27-Jul-11 10:20:08

16 weeks for me but I mistook it for stomach gurgling (I don't really eat enough and my stomach is constantly growling). It was like bubbles popping.

I think the "that's DEFINITELY a baby" feelings and stomach twitching were at about 20wks, I'm a true sceptic so before then I didn't really believe it.

marthamay Wed 27-Jul-11 10:20:47

I felt my first DS at 14 weeks. Lots of people told me that it was impossible but that's crap - I think you know if you are particularly in tune with your body. VERY different sensation to gas, felt like a tiny butterfly - AMAZING sensation. Can't wait to feel it again!

msbuggywinkle Wed 27-Jul-11 10:41:00

DD1, about 18 weeks. DD2 and DC3 from about 14/15 weeks.

ShowOfHands Wed 27-Jul-11 10:41:16

marthamay, perfectly possible to feel the baby at 14 weeks. I had an antenatal appointment at 16 weeks and said the baby was very active and had been for a while (since 14 weeks in fact). The midwife gave me a hmm face and mumbled 'it's sometimes possible' and then felt my tummy to check my uterus. The baby kicked her. She laughed and said, oh yes, clearly a baby in there. She was kicked several more times while she located the heartbeat.

Macaroona, don't worry if you have days of no feeling btw. Before 24 weeks ish they can hide back down in the pelvis at times and you go back to no movement again. It's nothing to worry about. In fact, it's normal.

mummyzoe2012 Wed 27-Jul-11 10:50:38

im 14 weeks 5 days with my 1st and baby has been very active this morning, ive been getting a lot of tapping from inside and doc said its the baby moving...

bamboobutton Wed 27-Jul-11 10:54:32

1st pregnancy didn't feel anything until the the 20th week

2nd one i'm sure i could feel fluttery movement from arounf 12/13 weeks

Macaroona Wed 27-Jul-11 17:01:59

SoH that's reassuring... I have needed to pee constantly today, so perhaps it's perched on my bladder for a change.

runaroundstartsnow Wed 27-Jul-11 18:04:17

11wks for this one and last one, 18wks for first and 14wks for second.

PIMSoclock Wed 27-Jul-11 19:16:35

Multiple pregnancy you say.....
That could be interesting!!! grin

Haudyerwheesht Wed 27-Jul-11 19:21:07

Dc1 - kick about 18/19 weeks
Dc2- about 12 weeks if I lay on my left side and from 15 weeks I could feel proper kicks and so could dh if he had my hand on my tummy

Ivortheengine8 Wed 27-Jul-11 20:37:44

About 18 weeks with first and about 20 weeks to feel proper kicks with this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now