Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

palpitations, Lump in throat and gasping

(21 Posts)
esandi Tue 26-Jul-11 22:39:13

have had all three for two nights now, I am also feeling floaty headed. I called NHS direct and they suggested I go to the hospital but I lent the car to my dad and I cant ask him to come and get me now he is in his 60's and has work in the morning sad I am worried to try and go to sleep as when I try to relax I start gasping again. Has anyone had this before ? I am not sure what to do. (10 weeks with 3rd baby)

louschmoo Tue 26-Jul-11 22:54:09

Hi, I hope you are feeling better and I'm sure it's nothing too serious but it really sounds like you should get to the hospital and get checked out. Is there any way you could get a taxi there?

esandi Tue 26-Jul-11 23:01:06

I dont get paid till Friday I am ashamed to say I dont have enough to get there at the moment it would cost at least £15 . I am trying to relax but it seems to make it worse.

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:05:14

Call NHS 24 back and explain that you have no one to take you to hospital, they can decide to get you an ambulance (urgent or non urgent) or will get you a GP home visit.
Don't sit on this and worry, use the services available as you clearly need further medical evaluation
Hope everything works out ok

ShowOfHands Tue 26-Jul-11 23:05:34

Phone your Dad. Or knock on a neighbour's door. Or ring a friend. You need to get checked out tonight. I'm not suggesting it's anything awful at all but it's best to go and see somebody. Is anybody with you?

Scheherezadea Tue 26-Jul-11 23:07:08

as above - you can get an out of hours GP to visit if you call NHS direct

esandi Tue 26-Jul-11 23:12:32

I will see what NHS direct say I do feel bad it says they are very busy

ShowOfHands Tue 26-Jul-11 23:16:35

Is it possible to bypass NHS Direct, you've spoken to them already and they can take hours to respond when busy. Do you have the number for your local ooh service? It'll be on your surgery answerphone.

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:17:21

It is a service that you pay for!
You wouldn't feel bad phoning up your electricity provider and being told they were busy!!!
You need further medical help on their advise, so let them help you smile

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:18:31

SOH, all out of hour services are directed by Nhs 24, there is no way to bypass them anymore

ShowOfHands Tue 26-Jul-11 23:20:19

Really? Our GP's surgery still has the number for the ooh service on it (is a local number, def not the NHS Direct 0845 number). But then they also have directions to a walk in centre that moved about 4yrs ago. Never rung it fortunately.

AngryFeet Tue 26-Jul-11 23:21:19

To be honest it sounds very much like anxiety/panic attack to me but since you are pregnant it is best to get checked out. Try breathing into your cupped hands for a minute first - deep even breaths in through nose and out through mouth to calm yourself.

esandi Tue 26-Jul-11 23:21:34

They have given me permission to call 999 so I shall.

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:28:44

Good luck, feel better soon smile

Af, I would be cautious in giving anyone advice for a presumed panic attack on an Internet forum.
Not to alarm the op, but if it is a genuine condition causing SOB the home remedy/ treatment for an anxiety attack could be disastrous.
Best to leave it to someone who can physically examine and take it from there.

SOH, my experience is limited to Scotland but I believe that the majority of local practices opted in the nhs 24 service and centralised clinics smile

AngryFeet Tue 26-Jul-11 23:32:37

Why would deep breathing be disastrous? To be fair the op said she has had this for the last few nights therefore not constantly nor has it just come on so I don't think my advice was harmful and I have suffered many panic attacks so am very aware of the symptoms all of which the op has. Also I did say she should still get checked out.

Hope all is well op. Let us know how you get on.

esandi Tue 26-Jul-11 23:34:29

I will i am waiting now. Thanks for the help all. Will let you all know.

MrsCornish Tue 26-Jul-11 23:34:54

a stupid question, perhaps, in which case forgive me. but are you lying on your back when this happens? If so, its a positional thing, and you should avoid it.

PIMSoclock Tue 26-Jul-11 23:36:39

Deep breathing through cupped hands reduces the amount of oxygen inhaled and increases the amount of carbon dioxide.
Perfect for anxiety but not if a person has an oxygenation problem.
I know you were only trying to help though smile

Moodykat Wed 27-Jul-11 09:29:43

What happened?

esandi Wed 27-Jul-11 18:21:30

Well I have to have a blood test, a thyroid blood test and an ECG tomorrow as they think its over-active thyroid. sad all that and I have to go to the hospital tomorrow as well for my liver scan for a suspected stone. thanks for all the comments.

9DonkeysAndABoy Wed 27-Jul-11 18:40:16

Sorry to hear what you are going through, but it's great you are being looked after and will hopefully get to the root of the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now