Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

RIB Speedboat trip at 12 weeks- bad idea?

(11 Posts)
helgaw99 Tue 26-Jul-11 17:03:17

Hi all,
As part of friends birthday present- they are going on a RIB speedboat on the Thames and have invited me.
By the time we go I will be about 13 weeks.
It goes very fast, but I don't think it is too bumpy. They say its not recommended for pregnant women, but that will be their insurance I imagine?
I kind of think the baby will still be tiny and I am very well padded and that it won't actually be very jolty- so I am inclined to go.
Does anyone have an opinion?
Thanks
Hx

jocesar Tue 26-Jul-11 17:15:48

Go! It's a boat trip on the Thames, not white water on the Zambezi! Depends really on how much cotton wool you want to wrap yourself up in whilst pregnant- everyone is different, but I'd have no qualms.

Italophil Tue 26-Jul-11 17:16:03

I am sure the Thames is not too choppy, but personally I wouldn't. I shall not be going on a boat this summer ;(

tethersend Tue 26-Jul-11 17:32:38

Those things go FAST. No, I would be sick on the back of someone's head. Only, what with the speed and all, it would just land on me. So double no.

PeelingmyselfofftheCeiling Tue 26-Jul-11 17:36:08

Sit at the back if you go - much less bumpy!

sancerrre Tue 26-Jul-11 17:40:11

I did this but in the sea so bumpier and baby didn't fall out (the skipper was incredibly concerned that it would). Stand up and take the impact on your knees if it seems bumpy. I figured it was really well protected in there at 12 weeks.

Snowgirl1 Tue 26-Jul-11 18:31:54

I'd go!

Oeisha Tue 26-Jul-11 18:41:48

Seriously, at high-speed, despite still water, you WILL bounce and you WILL get knocked about. Baby is well cushioned at that phase, yes, but whilst they are saying it for insurance reasons, would you go on a similar ride at a themepark?

Go if you want, in all likelyhood you'll be fine, but remember if you tell them you're pregnant, they have the right not to take you out. Also, if anything does happen to you and/or baby, there will be very little redress as you did not disclose your pregnancy...

BellaBells Tue 26-Jul-11 19:17:15

I've been on this last year and to be honest it's not as crazy as it sounds, it's the Thames! It does pick up speed at certain times but it doesn't go fast the whole trip, and the bumps depend on how choppy the water is. There were a few 'older' passengers and they were fine. If you maybe mention to the driver before hand that your a bit iffy with water or something I'm sure he wont go too wild. But I think this is a decision that only you can make. Have fun if you do go!

bestfootforwards Tue 26-Jul-11 19:24:35

I went on a rib at about the same stage and whilst ds was fine I really regretted it. Despite the water being flat it was still a bumpy ride, and when we met the wake of another boat we really bounced. Plus it was a friends boat and wasnt a special occasion so I could ask them to go more slowly than usual. I didn't enjoy the ride for worrying. That said, ds was fine so it may be that I was being overly neurotic, but next time I'm pregnant I will be giving Ribs a miss

missmapp Tue 26-Jul-11 19:32:47

I went on a similar trip in west wales when i was in the early stages of pg with ds1, it was fine, but I was really unaware of potential dangers and think back now with regret at what could have happened. He and I were fine though, but I did check with the company and they said it was fine as the boat didnt go too fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now