Talk

Advanced search

Large for date stories please!! :)

(5 Posts)
Kimmie30 Tue 26-Jul-11 10:05:32

Please can you all give me some large for dates stories. I am on my 4th pregnancy and i am measuring large for dates and in a panic after giving birth to a big baby already.
DD1 was 1 week late 7lb 11ozs
DS2 was 2 weeks late 10lb shoulder dystocia 1st degree tear and i needed 18 months of physio afterwards. He never measured large for dates!!
DS3 was 1 week late 8lb 11ozs and measured small for dates!!!

I am now measuring 3 weeks ahead of my 25 weeks and been told at 20 week scan that he was a "chunky" baby!! His measurments then were 176.0mm HC 159.0mm AC 32mm FL.

Am i going to have a whopper???

AKMD Tue 26-Jul-11 10:44:31

Possibly but measurements aren't always accurate, even with scans, and what could be a big baby at 25 weeks could have evened out to a middling sized one at 40. With your previous history it would be worth discussing your concerns with your MW, who will be able to advise you in more depth. If necessary, she could refer you for growth scans or, if you are very worried, to a consultant to discuss an ELCS.

icravecheese Tue 26-Jul-11 11:47:33

I've read masses of threads on mumsnet recently about people being predicted MAHOOSIVE babies from growth scans, & when they arrive they're average 8lb'ers, so try not to worry!

I've just been for my 28wk appt this morning, am preg with 3rd. Am measuring 31cm (well, it was 32cm but she remeasured & then said 31cm!). I've never measured large for dates before, and have had 8lb3oz and 8lb8oz babies so far. I KNEW this time i'd measure big - I feel huge!! The midwives in our area dont measure before 28wks as readings can be inaccurate prior to then (apparently).

If you're worried, I'd wait to see what 28wk & 31wk fundal measurements are & then if they're still large, perhaps request a growth scan. I have already requested an ELCS this time due to 2 previous 3rd degree tears, they have agreed to one no probs...but don't actually book you in to discuss mode of delivery until around 35 weeks, so you still have plenty of time left to discuss other delivery options if you're worried about delivering a big babe.

ShowOfHands Tue 26-Jul-11 11:54:26

Round here they don't measure until 28 weeks as it's inaccurate before then. Well it's inaccurate anyway but better after 28 weeks. It's fine to measure 3 or so weeks out (some of my midwives said 4wks was fine), it's more useful as a tool to establish an adequate pattern of growth from appointment to appointment as opposed to expecting everybody to measure 28cm at 28wks iyswim.

And yes, lots of people are threatened with big babies and have small ones, lots are promised tiddlers and have giants.

A bigger baby isn't necessarily a problem anyway but with a history of shoulder dystocia I'd just ask them to keep an eye on you and see how things progress. They should do that anyway tbh.

I wouldn't panic just yet...

Kimmie30 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:58:43

Thank you girlies for your replies. I wanted to book for ELCS (although i am glad i did'nt) with the last one due to the size of my second baby but the hospital would'nt have it and strongly discouraged saying that the baby would be no more than 7lb 4ozs according to growth scans and i was measuring small for dates but he still came out 8lb 11ozs which shocked them. I don't have brilliant midwives either. They just want you in and out of their office asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now