Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I think I've damaged my baby.

(27 Posts)
PeggyCarter Tue 26-Jul-11 07:25:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannyl Tue 26-Jul-11 07:31:56

No you have not damaged your baby....

I had HG and could barely eat anything at all (except junk and crap) for the 1st 4 / 5 ish months.

I did an entire month with no fruit / veg at all in any form cause i couldnt eat it. I hadnt had any folic acid or vits etc since about 8 weeks (though had vomitted them all since 7 weeks) quite simply because I couldnt (and midwives didnt care less..... it was more important for me to keep hydrated and out of hospital, i was sick everything so no point making myself ill with folic acid....)

There are many many people like me who through no choice of their own cant eat healthy food at all for months at a time, and still have healthy babies at the end

PeggyCarter Tue 26-Jul-11 07:39:29

kri5ty Tue 26-Jul-11 07:40:12

hormonal idiot smile

hehe

I am 20 weeks, expecting our 1st... still no movement at all for us, the MW says that my little nugget is still quite far low down, and it is perfectly normal not to feel anything until around 22/23 weeks smile

I also forget to take vitamins, and only eat rubbish (and if we are both the same, i am sure many many other people are too!)

Dont worry hun, i know its hard, but parenting is a lifetime of worries... we are just starting now!!

I am paranoid as i havent felt anything, but like i said, the MW wasnt worried, she didnt even try to listen for the heartbeat as she wasnt concerned at all smile

Its the age old saying... people have been having babies for centuries and all this healthy eating advice wasn;t around then! xxx

kri5ty Tue 26-Jul-11 07:41:14

Ps i ment to say... i know you are "ment" to feel it earlier than 19 weeks with your second, but my best friend didnt feel anything with Dd2 until a few weeks after her 20 week scan... her bump had also been very low

DialMforMummy Tue 26-Jul-11 07:58:53

I don't think you have damaged your baby!
But now you have realised you can do more to be healthy, do it!
Really, don't worry.
Having said that, I was eating cakes like there is no tomorrow when I was pregnant and now DS, almost 10 mo, still doesn't crawl.... wink

hester Tue 26-Jul-11 08:05:17

Babies are amazingly good at getting what they need out of your system. I had nausea for most of my pregnancy and pretty much lived on bread, bananas and biscuits. Baby was fine smile

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

colditz Tue 26-Jul-11 08:07:45

Your baby will be taking exactly what it needs from you. Whether or not you top your own system up is not really relevant.

Re movements - he/she might be fixed somewhere else in your womb to DD - I didn't feel Ds2 until 22 weeks

colditz Tue 26-Jul-11 08:09:04

And with Ds2 I didn't eat any vegetables at all as I couldn't stomach them, and barely ate anything in my last trimester because of depression.

He was born 8 lb 4 oz and at 5 years old, is perfectly healthy

Wormshuffler Tue 26-Jul-11 08:11:40

With my dc's i didn't take anything except folic acid, and they were fine! this time I have taken more up until 12 week scan, but now the pregnecare is on an "only if I remember" basis about twice a week! Don't worry, all will be fine.

befuzzled Tue 26-Jul-11 08:12:21

I dont think you have - I think it is more likely that you will find that you are a bit knackered at the end of it - the babies take all the vitamins and mineral available from you and you will have a big reserve store. Seriously, I am sure your baby will be fine, they are all different and he may be less active naturally, or indeed be a boy as opposed to a girl!

In my third pg I had bad morning sickness which I didnt have with the other two and all I ate pretty much was carbs and kept forgetting to take vitamins as I was exhausted. The baby was fine. I had a vitamin deficiency afterwards.

PeggyCarter Tue 26-Jul-11 08:30:03

crispyseaweed Tue 26-Jul-11 08:39:06

I think you diet will not damage your unborn baby, but when and if you can try to up the goodness food, or try to take pregnancy multi vits and minerals...

Lovesicecream Tue 26-Jul-11 09:11:29

I had hg with all three of mine so ate what I could keep down, usually crap! try not to worry

harassedandherbug Tue 26-Jul-11 09:17:06

Hormonal idiot! grin But so am I...

I'm 18+5 with dc4, so you'd think I'd know better, but phoned the mw in a fluster yesterday as I'm quite swollen and hadn't had as much movement as normal. I have a doppler (2 mc's this year so easily freaked!) and could find the hb, but still panicked. Saw mw and all was of course fine! There's still a fair bit of room in there don't forget, I reckon mine has turned right the way round.

With regards to your diet, in the early days the babies are like little parasites and will take what they need and leave you deficient! So you may be feeling like crap, but I bet baby is happy as larry grin.

RobynLou Tue 26-Jul-11 09:20:06

hormonal idiot grin

generally a bad diet won't harm the baby, it'll harm you - if you don't eat all your vits the baby will take them omegas from your brain, and calcium from your bones etc...

franke Tue 26-Jul-11 09:25:48

No, you haven't damaged your baby. At 19 weeks, hopefully you're starting to come out of the awful tired and sick phase and will start to feel a bit better. Don't force yourself to eat stuff that you really can't stomach. Your baby will take exactly what it needs regardless.

You hormonal idiot you.

Boosaphena Tue 26-Jul-11 09:26:42

I have hg still at 29 wks. I eat what I can and what I fancy and what I can face seeing again. It was the same for my other 2 dc. I was really worried about it but my doc has described babies in the womb as natures most affective parasite... They'll take everything they need to help them develop it'll just be us left flagging so I shouldn't worry!

Junebugjr Tue 26-Jul-11 09:37:11

Honestly don't worry, easier said than done!

I had HG with dd2 til around 26 weeks, barely ate a thing, lost 2st, in and out of hospital on drips etc etc. The only nourishment the poor thing got was the odd piece of bread and saline solution from the drips. Even after 30 weeks I lived off cheese and cucumber sandwiches, and new potatoes. I was very worried about the effect of my crap diet on her, I also couldn't keep down prenatal vitamins. Dd2 born 8lb and very healthy, I do think she would have been a lot bigger if I has been able to eat, as she shot up to the 91st centile in first week,she must have been starving! But no ill effects thank god. Your baby will be fine, it's the mothers that get the brunt if we don't look after ourselves. Could you try having a smoothie with lots of fruit in, I used to be able to drink these if they were ice cold after 30 weeks. Or soup, both things are easy and quick to eat and you can ram loads of fruit an veg in them. Best of luck.

Poledra Tue 26-Jul-11 09:37:19

Ach, you're just a bit hormental (with thanks to TheSecondComing, who coined this wonderful term!). As everyone says, the baby takes what it needs and may leave you a little deficient, so look after yourself and try to get some more sleep/healthy food etc. I had an appendectomy when 31 weeks pg with DD2, didn't really eat well for over a week and had shedloads of antibiotics, painkillers etc. She's 5, just finished her first year at school and is already performing above the national average (not baosting, just sayin'!).

Re not feeling the movements, perhaps you have an anterior placenta (at the front of your uterus) so it will be more difficult to feel the movements until they get stronger, as the placenta will be cushioning the blows, as it were.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

banana87 Tue 26-Jul-11 10:34:54

Seriously, don't worry. I've eaten crap too and stopped my vitamins at 7 weeks. You probably have an anterior placenta which is why you aren't feeling strong movements yet. I am 23 weeks and only started getting proper kicks last week. Don't worry smile

AKMD Tue 26-Jul-11 10:40:46

Don't worry. All I could eat for a month in early pregnancy was poppyseed bread spread with Boursin and Parma ham [odd emoticon]. My SIL flipped because she said the poppyseeds would mean the baby would be born with an opium addiction grin Boursin is fine but Parma ham is a no-no. It was better than starving though and DS is fine.

Scheherezadea Tue 26-Jul-11 11:16:33

I stopped taking folic acid after 12 weeks as my Doctor said you don't need to take it any longer than that, as the heart and nervous system have already developed.

I'm also a big non-believer in forcing vitamin tablets into yoru body, unless you have a medical vitamin deficiency condition - personally I think it's a load of tosh by vitamin companies, and my doctor, fetal medicine consultant and midwife agreed with me!

Have you had a scan to check where the baby is? it could be that you have the placenta at the front so you can't feel it as much.

My baby was at high risk of defects as I didn't realise I was pregnant early on and was taking a v.risky drug for a condition I have, and I've eaten pretty badly throughout, and baby is 100% healthy! I get scans every 4 weeks, and consultant is really overjoyed at how spot on everything is, despite my chocolate, toast, apples and biscuits diet.

buttonmoon78 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:16:49

In the nicest possible way, you're being a hormonal idiot smile which is as it should be in pg!

As many others have said, loads of babies grow perfectly well on really poor diets. There are many parts of the world where women have massively restricted diets and still manage to produce perfectly normal children.

Your baby has not been damaged by you - he will be taking everything he needs from you. In fact, it's more likely that you will be suffering more than him as he will be like a little parasite - his needs will come first!

Good luck with the rest of your pg!

superjobee Tue 26-Jul-11 13:20:55

hormonal idiot smile im 26 weeks and have spent the best part of the last 6 weeks eating donuts and chocolate blush DS is growing fine, moves a lot less than DD did but as everybody and their mother will tell you every pregnancy is different you're fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now