Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

smear test

(7 Posts)
fandango75 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:06:00

hello

i am about 5 weeks pregnant. A few years back i had a cervical amputation due to abnormal cells.

i have had yearly smears since for check up.

I got my smear letter this week and mentioned it to the docs assistamt who told me no way to have a smear and to wait until after giving birth.

After checking online (cancer research website) it says a smear does the pregnancy no harm and those who have had irregular smears can be tested. I suffered with severe anxiety in my first pregnancy and am beginning to worry a little as having the yearly, having it trechnically a year late (as you wait until 3 months after child birth) doesnt seem right.

Anybody qualified out there to advise? DH has told me to double check with the actual doctor..

thanks

BuffyFan Mon 25-Jul-11 21:28:56

I know the guidance is generally to wait until after the birth (the NHS guide to all the various tests actually recommends one while you're on mat leave). But given it's more frequent for you then perhaps it's worth the risk? Would definitely speak to your GP about it.

fandango75 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:34:32

yes i dont think its a risk element seems pregnancy can skew cell results - no risk to pregnancy

licoriceGreen Mon 25-Jul-11 21:35:57

I'd had to have treatment in the past for an abnormal smear, mine was due when I was 8 weeks pregnant. I have them every six months. The receptionist said I couldn't have one but the midwife said it would be fine so I made an appointment with the nurse. When I got to the nurse she said she wouldn't do it and would speak to the doctor. The doctor said I needed it but that she would do it herself, it was fine, I've had a letter to go again but this time the doc has said to wait. So I think it depends on your circumstances but I'd talk to your doctor.

fandango75 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:48:55

thanks licoricegreen much apreciated

MrsBloomingTroll Mon 25-Jul-11 21:54:51

FWIW, I had a smear test when I didn't yet know I was pregnant with DD1, after 3+ years of trying to conceive.

Was horrified when I found out, but the midwife said the risk was tiny and the nurse taking the smear may well have known/guessed I was pregnant from the cervix looking different (although it may literally have been a few days).

Emy84 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:04:12

The general advice is for women not to have smears during pregnancy as there is a small theoretical risk, however if you have previously had an abnomal then you are still advised to have a smear. Plenty of pregnant women have smear tests (I work in the field) but depending on how long ago you had abnormal cells and if all the follow ups have been negative you could wait as long as you ensure you have a post natal smear test.
I would do whatever will cause you less anxiety! I am sure that you being worried either way will be worse for the baby than having smear test. Go and see your GP or midwife and discuss you exact circumstance with them. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now