Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Citalopram is a pregnancy no no!!!

(23 Posts)
curleywurley2 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:07:37

Im currently 22 weeks pregnant with my second baby and been having problems with my husband, its got that bad that I can feel my depression coming back (ive had depression after having my daughter and was treated with counsiling and citalopram but came off it a year ago).
So went to my G.P today to seek advice and ask if it was ok to go back on citalopram but he said that he wouldnt prescribe it to me due to me being pregnant and even asked for a second opinion from another G.P which also said no to prescribing me any anti depressents.
Just wonderd if any one else had been prescribed it because the doctor said that if they prescribed it, it would make the baby drowsey when its born and also it would have withdrawl symptoms!!!!
Just abit confused as ive read on other threads of women being prescribed it no problem when pregnant??? xx

colditz Mon 25-Jul-11 19:08:55

I was prescribed fluoxetinewhen pregnant with no adverse effects..... ask to see another doctor, or better - a psychiatrist

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 25-Jul-11 19:10:29

No, my GP took me off it when I was ttc. I didn't press for anything else at the time as I thought I was doing ok but now I realise I need some help so am looking at the options again.

BitzyVonMuffling Mon 25-Jul-11 19:10:37

Nope, I don't agree with him, but I'm no doctor. I was prescribed citalopram during both of my pregnancies as I suffer antenatal depression incredibly badly. I continied to take it during breastfeeding, and was even prescribed a hardcore antianxiety med during this time too. If the risk to the mother from NOT being given antidepressants is less than the potential risk to the foetus by having them, they ARE allowed to prescribe antidepressants. And fwiw, it was 2 different GPs at 2 different surgeries who prescribed it to me both times.

BertieBasset Mon 25-Jul-11 19:15:38

I was put on fluroxetine (prozac) during both pregnancies. Had to stay in for 48 hour obs on baby, 24hrs first time but guidelines had changed. No problem either time with either baby.

Midwife told me that she had a patient on citalopram and I was irritated as that works much better for me. This patient was allowed a home birth also.

It is my understanding that prozac is the most used in pregnancy and thus the most trusted. The one that is a no no is paroxetine I think?

curleywurley2 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:16:29

Thanks for all your replys, I was just abit confussed and felt abit lost when I came out of the surgery. I think im going to give it a couple of weeks and if it dosnt get any better or I get worse then Ill go back and get a second opinion xxx

eaglewings Mon 25-Jul-11 19:19:45

Yes, do go back. Both my GP and the psychiatrist let me stay on while TTC. One did try to wean me off but the side effects kicked in from quick withdrawal. In the end they admitted the risks are the same with both Mede.

aethelfleda Mon 25-Jul-11 19:24:53

Go back to your GP again. It's important you look after yourself. I've had relatives on fluoxetine and sertraline throughout pregnancy and they really needed it and both babies were fine. though sometimes they tell you not to breastfeed if you have certain antidepressants. Best way to get good care is go back and keep asking questions. If the GPs arent sure they should check with your local psychiatrists who will know what are the best options.

curleywurley2 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:36:19

I just know deep down that I need to go back on it because im struggling to cope with my marriage problems and bring up my three year old daughter. Just know that I can cope better with lifes problems when im on citalopram, thanks again guys xx

melliebobs Mon 25-Jul-11 21:08:29

Might be an extreme example but my cousins wife is bipolar. She came off her meds when pregnant and was put back on them. She ended up being hospitalised for a big chunk if her pregnancy as their was very little movement from the baby as a result. She had to be induced early and the baby had to be given small doses of whatever this medication was and slowly weened off them

4madboys Mon 25-Jul-11 21:17:41

i took it whilst preg and bfeeding on the advice of my mental health team, a psych and obstetric consultant. i stayed in for 24hrs hours after baby was born to make sure she had no side effects etc, all was fine smile

get another opinion, it is fine to take.

Oeisha Mon 25-Jul-11 21:54:00

I don't disagree with your decision about needing meds, but has your GP suggested talking therapies/CBT? Doesn't work for everyone, but it might be worth a go.
Personally I HATED citalopram (some anti-ds I had pretty bad reactions to, some did nothing, but citalopram did at least work)...made me feel very detatched (they all did).

MummyAbroad Tue 26-Jul-11 01:26:24

You have my sympathies, its very hard to tell what is "safe" and what is not as there are a lot of conflicting opinions/information out there.

I'm finding reading these is helping me get an idea of what the issues are:
www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Antidepressants_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf
www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html
drugsafetysite.com/citalopram/

I am taking fluoxitine for the second time during pregnancy. My 3 year old DS had no adverse affects at all, though I was advised to come off it a month before birth and not use it while breastfeeding. This time I would really like to stay on longer and/or switch to something I can use while bf-ing but like you am struggling with all the mixed messages. Good luck xx

KatyN Tue 26-Jul-11 09:08:09

there isn't any research into AD in pregnancy because it would be unethical to test pregnant ladies.. but I am taking citraloplan and I'm 24 weeks gone! I tried to cut down before TTC but wasn't having any of it.. now I split my dose (40mg) so half in the morning and half in the afternoon to reduce the amount the baby gets.

I had advice from hospital consultant in antenatal depression and my gp is very clued up on this. I've seen obstetrician who also thinks it's fine.

One of the known problems of citraloplan and pregnancy is it 'may' cause heart disease for the little one. I had a VERY thorough scan of the heart at 20 weeks and it seemed fine.. also I'm assuming your little one is fully developed in that department so..

There is also a risk of withdrawal for the baby.. but my mw, health visitor and gp are ready to watch for symptoms when he comes out.. I am prepared to switch to formula if he is struggling!

for me.. I know I couldn't cope for another 2 weeks if I was suffering.. so you may want to talk to someone else.

good luck,
katy

curleywurley2 Tue 26-Jul-11 10:14:51

Thanks again for all your messages, I feel loads better knowing that some of you have been on AD in pregnancy and every thing was ok.
Im going to ring the doctors today and book in to see a different doctor for a second opinion, but before I go to the doctors Im going to do some research about anti depressants in pregnancy so I can fight my corner.
I was offered counsiling when I went to the doctors the other day but I turned it down due to me having had counsiling in the past and it didnt really work for me.
Thanks again for all your advice xx

BertieBasset Tue 26-Jul-11 10:28:23

mummyabroad I was advised that I could bf on fluroxetine and I did with both!

It seems that everyone gets different messages and that is so unhelpful when trying to make an educated decision.

BertieBasset Tue 26-Jul-11 10:28:55

Sorry - and good luck OP, let us know how you get on.

pregnantmimi Tue 26-Jul-11 12:01:45

Just giving my opinion, I came off my meds been bi polar 14 years (mostly depression) I feel down but putting up with it. It is hard.

Its up to you compleatly obviously this is just what I have done but I have a friend who stayed on citalapram all the way though her baby is fine.

I just dont want them sort of chemicals in my my body while pregnant.

I will need to go back on them once baby is here and also be in hospital for a week after with the baby as there is a high chance 70 percent of relapse. Im feeling positive about it hope the pregnancy balances me out have read this happens with some people.

4madboys Tue 26-Jul-11 13:33:17

KATYN, the BEST thing to do to avoid withdrawl symptoms in baby IS to bfeed as then baby will get a tiny tiny amount through the bmilk, not enough to be a problem but enough to avoid withdrawl! i was told this by the paed nad my consultant at the hospital and i did bfeed my dd, was kept in for 24hrs to watch baby but she was fine smile

MummyAbroad Tue 26-Jul-11 13:38:46

BertieBasset thanks for that info. Did you take fluoxetine throughout pregnancy and then continue while BFing? or start while breastfeeding? I have been told by my doc (not very clued up on AD's) that there is an increased risk of breathing difficulties if AD's are used in the third trimester and that is why I should stop before birth. I found reference to a study that seems to be where this info comes from. It is a very small study of only 30 women, and 2 babies had breathing difficulties when born.

I am feeling great on the AD's and would love to continue them as the post natal bit is when I am going to need them most. I had post natal depression with DS, and a month after his birth stopped breastfeeding and went back on the AD's.

KatyN If you were asking about my little one, yes he is fully formed. Was born 9 pounds and very healthy, heart checked at 20 week scan and all fine, no heart problems or breathing difficulties at birth. All fine. I took 20mg of fluoxetine from 20 to 36 weeks.

BertieBasset Tue 26-Jul-11 21:25:58

mummyabroad I moved onto fluroxetine while ttc and stayed on it while bf'ing, I checked with the bf counsellor around 30 weeks in case I needed to come off them but I didn't.

Due to the risk of breathing difficulties I had to stay in, well dc's did, for 24 hours then 48 with dc2 as guidelines had changed. Neither had any problems at all. I was on a 20mg dose.

Oeisha Tue 26-Jul-11 21:30:05

CBT isn't 'counselling' in the traditional/freudian sense. Whilst they like to know your 'issues' and are willing to let you talk about them, they're more interested in learning your triggers for anxiety/stresses/what stops you getting out of bed and being 'normal' and 'retraining' your brain to recognise these triggers. They then put in place coping techniques and help retrain your brain to think positively. It worked very well for me, but I was on citalopram at the time too!
But, if you've given it a go, then, well, maybe it's not for you, but maybe some others out there may get some use from the techniques.

MummyAbroad Wed 27-Jul-11 20:22:59

thanks Bertie good to know some doctors will agree it, and I am glad everything turned out alright for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now