Talk

Advanced search

baby milk at North Staffs maternity unit?

(11 Posts)
Valiant1 Mon 25-Jul-11 13:30:44

Is it true i have to take my own milk in ?

QueenOfFeckingEverything Mon 25-Jul-11 13:33:21

probably - it seems to be becoming the norm

buttonmoon78 Mon 25-Jul-11 15:01:46

Yes you do. If you are planning to ff you'll need to take it in.

The lady next to me last w/e had been planning to bf so they let her have a bit when she decided in the middle of the night that bf wasn't for her. HCP stressed that they had v limited choice (prob true) and v limited supplies (unlikely).

I believe that many of the major manufacturers do a hospital starter pack of ready mixed feeds in disposable bottles. I'm sure I've seen this in Tesco or somewhere like that!

BTW I'd also take your own bathing towel and some antibac spray - I'd never normally buy it but the shower rooms on the PN wards are wet rooms so everybody traipses through the wet in their shoes which is a bit gross.

Anything else you can think of, just shout!

Pudding2be Mon 25-Jul-11 16:23:10

Hi Valiant

My friend gave birth there a few months ago and she had to.

I'm due 30th Aug and planning to give birth there, when are you due?

Valiant1 Mon 25-Jul-11 18:10:52

hi am due sept, were are you pudding i am kidsgrove way x? i have seen the ready made ones in mothercare but don't like the look of the teats.. what do they do about the steralizing of bottles as i may not have time to think about it!

GemmaReeto Mon 25-Jul-11 19:55:45

Glad you've asked this as Im going there too! Can I ask another question? Are they quite accepting of FF there? I ask because I've heard stories of midwifes in some maternity wards being a bit off with you if you dont want to bf? This is my first baby and just wondering what to expect.
Valiant, I live near Kidsgrove... Bignall End smile

Valiant1 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:00:52

Hi i am on number 4 and they all encourage but have never had any one be off with me. When are you due Gemma? We looked at house up there but i didn't drive then so didn't take it in the end. wish i had now as can drive and we havin truble with the ally-way by us anyway lol moan over lol

Pudding2be Tue 26-Jul-11 09:32:41

Hi ladies

My friend took the ready made bottles. I think they are ok about ff. I'm not bothering taking any formula, if I need any I'll send DP to get some

I live in Norton, so right the other end.

buttonmoon78 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:12:24

The HCP who dealt with the lady I was talking about was more than happy to help her with ff. Never suggested any bf help just said if she stopped bf she might find it hard to start again if she changed her mind. Which surprised me a bit as I was expecting her to try to convince her to continue!

I think it's like most things - go in knowing what you want and be calm but firm and everything will be fine smile

Trentham here BTW.

Valiant1 Tue 26-Jul-11 13:26:15

hello button its scarey how you don't know were people are they could be next door lol in bed today had some pain this morning so resting see how i go on sad last `day before the kids are off for 6 weeks x

GemmaReeto Tue 26-Jul-11 13:43:16

Ah glad to hear that nobody has had any bad experiences then, makes me feel better smile
Valiant- I'm due on 14th November so Im just over 24 weeks now. I moved there with my fiance 2 years ago, had never heard of it before I met him but he's always lived around there. Its a nice area, have to travel to Leek for work which is a bit of a pain but I drive so not too bad.
Had a MW appointment this morning, going to book antenatal classes and apparently get a tour of the Midwife Led Birthing Centre so looking forward to seeing where I will be giving birth, have never been to the hospital before!
Nice to find some other Stoke ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now