Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just been told off...

(10 Posts)
KatyCustard Sun 24-Jul-11 18:07:04

...for crossing my legs whilst sitting down! Apparently crossing your legs makes the cord wrap round the baby's neck. hmm

I cannot for the life of me work out how this could be true, please tell me it's some obscure Old Wives' Tale!!!!

Cyclebump Sun 24-Jul-11 18:12:47

Sounds like crap to me. I was told not to because it's bad posture and would make my pregnancy backache worse.

jenniec79 Sun 24-Jul-11 18:13:49

Sounds like an old wives' tale, but can restrict veins in your legs - increasing risk of varicose veins and DVT (both increased risk in pregnancy anyway)

Sorelip Sun 24-Jul-11 18:24:12

I don't think anyone crosses their legs with such vigour that it moves the cord! It definitely interferes with good posture, however, which is no joke when the strongest painkiller you can take is paracetamol, and your back is crying out for revenge (I very much speak from experience on this one!)

ShowOfHands Sun 24-Jul-11 18:25:43

Same people will tell you that reaching up will cause the cord to spontaneously strangle your baby.

It's a myth. But it IS best not to cross your legs if you can. For your hips, back and legs...

Pekka Sun 24-Jul-11 20:19:58

In one of my many pregnancy books this was listed as an Old Wives' Tale. It did say that it might increase the chance of Varicose Veins though, so I try not to do it smile

Renaissance227 Mon 25-Jul-11 10:19:09

Old wives tale. Surely that would be impossible!

WaitingForBabyD Mon 25-Jul-11 11:51:00

I've heard of this as an Old Wives Tales, along with holding your arms above your head doing the same thing. Once your past 34 weeks tho I think it's advisable not to see crossed legs if you can in order to help your baby get into (and stay) in as good a position as possible for birh.

roisinanna Mon 25-Jul-11 22:50:34

You're lucky you can cross your legs! But it's a vein thing... Jesus there is some rubbish spouted out about pregnancy!

wigglesrock Mon 25-Jul-11 23:10:09

It varicose veins, in the same way you shouldn't sleep with your ankles crossed pregnant or not grin I have that helpful piece of advice to thank for my not bad looking legs, unfortunately after 3dds the rest of me is a bit ropey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now