Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

good gift for early pregnancy...?

(17 Posts)
shubiedoo Sun 24-Jul-11 13:39:22

Sister-in-law is pregnant with her first; it's early days (she's not due until March) but obviously she's very excited. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and I wanted to get her something to acknowledge her condition but not maternity clothes or anything yet. She lives in London, so I'd be shopping on UK websites (I'm in Canada.) She travels on the train a lot for work, so maybe a morning sickness remedy? Or nice pregnancy calendar?

moregranny Sun 24-Jul-11 16:26:19

Try www.NCT/shop.co.uk

moregranny Sun 24-Jul-11 16:27:35

sorry, www.nctshop.co.uk

CoffeeOne Sun 24-Jul-11 16:31:19

A pregnancy/parenting book would be nice. I'm 9 weeks pregnant, we've told a few close friends and I've been given two. It's something to keep you occupied without being too 'jinxy'.

JenniL1977 Sun 24-Jul-11 16:31:36

I got a big bundle of Boots Mum-To-Be stuff when I was first pregnant - creams and oils and stuff.
Boots

BooBooGlass Sun 24-Jul-11 16:31:59

I would be very careful this early on tbh, not to be the voice of doom. She is still in very newly pregnant and things could do wrong. I'd be wary of buying something pregnancy related in case something did happen between you placing the order and her recieving it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Jul-11 16:32:31

How about this, this or this?

firsttimer84 Sun 24-Jul-11 16:33:12

To be honest I wanted my birthday presents to be presents for me only as this would the last one I had without a baby. Thats just me though. Maybe a pamper kit or a voucher for a spa day once baby's here? I would've loved that esp if she has a rough pregnancy x

Kirst16 Sun 24-Jul-11 16:35:35

A pregnacy journal is a nice idea.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1841724351/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1555612458&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=09B7GYNXD4S7BMJBXGQX

wompoopigeon Sun 24-Jul-11 16:36:11

Please don't buy anything pregnancy related until after the first scan at 12 weeks has gone well.
What about a spa day or a voucher for a facial?

mrsnesbit Sun 24-Jul-11 16:41:55

I too would urge you to NOT get anything preg related as it is a horrendous kick in the guts if things go wrong.
Completely backfires in a most hurtfull & painful way.

orangehead Sun 24-Jul-11 16:51:00

I take it it will be coming via post.
I was given a pregnancy journal for my first pregnancy, unfortunely the day before I had started lightly bleeding and had a scan which they couldnt find a heartbeat. They didnt say I had mc but just wanted to rescan in a week time. I suppose I know I had but was hanging onto a bit of a hope so we didnt tell friends that I may of mcd. So when my friend gave me this, well it was just awful and she felt really bad.
I dont want to be negative but if you were giving it her personally and you knew everything ok before you it her. But via the post, this early on just a few hours can make a difference. Think it would be awful if you posted it and then found out something had happened.

Bartimaeus Sun 24-Jul-11 17:20:20

I was 4 months pregnant at my last birthday. I told everyone NOT to buy me anything pregnancy related! I knew that over the following months I'd get loads of new stuff because of the baby (maternity clothes, and baby stuff) so I wanted something for me.

Agree with PP to get something pampering for her - I've had a couple of massages since getting pregnant and they are bliss.

DH also was great as he got me a huge sunhat with a matching bag for the beach (plus some jewellery grin ). Practical as I need a large sunhat to protect me from getting the mask of pregnancy but not too baby related as I'll be able to use it still afterwards IYSWIM?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Jul-11 17:42:16

Just remembered what I asked for when it was my birthday, I had Next Vouchers (for maternity clothes) and vouchers for the beauty salon so that they could see to my long forgotten feet. Was further on than your SIL though and agree with the others that it might be tricky until after the 12 week scan.

MumblingRagDoll Sun 24-Jul-11 17:48:40

My friend loved this

It's a Mexican Bola necklace. It chimes very gently and the baby can hear it inside...then when the baby is born, it calms down when you wear it or jangle it.

notlettingthefearshow Sun 24-Jul-11 22:46:49

I wouldn't buy anything pregnancy related either - too soon. Plenty of time for all that later!

shubiedoo Mon 25-Jul-11 00:37:28

Sigh. Yes, you're right, it is too early really. Some great ideas there but I'll save them for Christmas! If all goes well, this is the last year that her birthday will just be about her, and I'll tell her that. Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now