Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity towels or sanitary towels after birth?

(18 Posts)
sevendwarves Sat 23-Jul-11 17:33:05

After the birth I was planning to use large sanitary towels rather than maternity ones as they're much cheaper, like I did after DS was born. However I've just seen in the mothercare catalogue that "ordinary sanitary towels aren't suitable during this time as they may mask signs of infection".

Does anyone know what the difference is or are mothercare just scaremongering to cash in?

Flisspaps Sat 23-Jul-11 17:42:50

No, it is definitely advised that you use maternity towels (at least at first)

Sanitary towels have a plastic layer which doesn't allow any wounds (tears/cuts) to breathe (which can worsen an infection and they soak away blood so efficiently it is hard to monitor blood loss and the smell of lochia (again, a way of monitoring infection)

PhyllisDiller Sat 23-Jul-11 17:55:00

What flisspaps says...

Are they cheaper? I used Sainsburys own (£1.00ish for 10) and they were just fine. (I don't know how much non maternity ones are as I never ever use them).

CBear6 Sat 23-Jul-11 18:16:18

Yeah, I was basically going to say what Flisspaps said.

I just went on the maternity ward tour the other day and the MW doing it said exactly the same thing about infection. She also said that regular towels aren't always up to the job for the first few days and will soak through faster than a maternity pad which can cause unnecessary worry about heavy bleeding when in fact it's a normal amount of bleeding and the pad just isn't up to the challenge.

Supermarket own brand maternity towels are cheap enough and do the job. I personally like the Mothercare ones, they're relatively slim and have wings. They're £4.99 for a pack of 28 which is quite pricey but they're 3 for 2 so I'm buying three packs like I did last time. By the time the three packs were used up the bleeding has eased and I was able to use normal towels.

Valiant1 Sat 23-Jul-11 19:59:08

i have just been and bought normal ones i used them with my other 3 but may just go get some maternity ones now smile

hollyw Sat 23-Jul-11 22:22:15

I used natracare ones as I found the regular pads irritated my stitches

ebbandflow Sat 23-Jul-11 22:23:56

Have you tried tesco's-i used their maternity pad and they were fine, I also had stitches.

cowboylover Sun 24-Jul-11 00:01:27

On our parent craft classes at the hospital they said to either get maternity ones or the own brand basics ones and not to use the dry weave top like ones as they will irritate

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Sun 24-Jul-11 00:14:06

Yes, I also found the Tesco ones really good (and I had stitches and an episiotomy)

LittlePushka Sun 24-Jul-11 01:03:54

I agree Tesco maternity are great -but buy loads! And then buy a few more!

madhattershouse Sun 24-Jul-11 01:08:37

Maternity towels are much more padded..if you are sore then they are the ones you want!! I used mostly mothercare but Tescos ones were fine too. Normal sanitary towels may feel better (less bulk) but after the birth , trust me on this, comfort is so much more important! In the first few days after birth you may need to use 2 at a time (so you don't leak when you lay down) sorry if tmi, but it helps to be forwarned!

Mrswhiskerson Sun 24-Jul-11 01:22:22

I used tesco maternity towels and found them to be very good and not as bulky as other brands. Definately use two when lying down especially at first.

sevendwarves Sun 24-Jul-11 09:00:07

Thanks ladies, I'll buy some maternity ones instead.

mousymouse Sun 24-Jul-11 09:12:01

I only had normal sanitary pads.
the only thing to look for is that they are the thick kind with cotton on top that would show lumps and clots.

BertieBotts Sun 24-Jul-11 09:14:55

I couldn't even cope with the normal maternity towels, I ended up using folded up prefold nappies! I think I'd get washable ones another time.

Normal sanitary towels are about £1.45 a pack of 14 aren't they? So £1 for 10 is slightly cheaper.

Mum2be79 Sun 24-Jul-11 11:43:21

Sorry to ask a personal question but how often do you need to change a maternity towel? Is it more often than a regular period or about the same?

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Sun 24-Jul-11 12:13:41

Variable, but all the flaming time at first!

Sewmuchtodo Sun 24-Jul-11 17:54:34

I got boot's ones on 3for2 the other week. I was told to pack 'some' when having DC1......3packs later I was onto normal ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now