Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thrush cream and pessary - safe to use?

(16 Posts)
tunnocksteacake Fri 22-Jul-11 18:25:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Diege Fri 22-Jul-11 18:34:54

The pharamcist got it worng if it is the regular caneston type pessary cream combo. I have had thrush in pregnancy ( a few weeks ago) and was advised that the pessaries and cream were fine. I had the 3 night pessary course, but was told to use my finger rather than the applicator to insert. Could you see the GP and get a prescription rather than buy over the counter? (thinking of your purse too!)

lolajane2009 Fri 22-Jul-11 18:43:48

I've used it. You just cant use the oral medication i think.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 22-Jul-11 18:51:49

You cam get it off the shelf, the normal canesten pessary and cream is fine.

tunnocksteacake Fri 22-Jul-11 18:53:30

LawrieMarlow Fri 22-Jul-11 19:10:56

When i was pregnant and had thrush I was presribed loads of pessaries at once. Think i had about 6 to take which did do the trick.

Oeisha Fri 22-Jul-11 21:09:37

Am going through the same thing, having contant attacks probably due to not having used the pessary yet (just as I get fed up it goes. Going to the doc monday to see if we can get it gone once and for all - might as well get some use out of my med cert.). Some pharmacists won't sell the pessary without a script. Some also get cofused about the % of cream to give you. Spoke to MW who said just get the OTC every day pessary and cream. As long as you insert with your finger and not the applicator you should be fine.

foxylady123 Sat 23-Jul-11 08:37:08

Yep pessary and creams are fine but not the oral tablet.

Budgiez Sat 23-Jul-11 08:43:03

Hi I went through this a few weeks ago. Both pharmacist and doctor confirmed that the Canesten duo of the cream and pessary are fine to use. Like the others have said just avoid the oral tablets and don't use the pessary applicator just use fingers.

It is pretty miserable isn't it - I hated it. You can use plain live yogurt on the affected area to ease the discomfort as well. Hope you get rid soon Bx

nothingsoextraordinary Sun 24-Jul-11 15:01:51

I was so distracted with exhaustion during the first trimester that I took a thrush pessary orally (had to crack it in half - oh the stupidity...).
Spent the afternoon on the toilet but that was that.

Oeisha Sun 24-Jul-11 17:21:17

LOL...sorry nothing but that's soo priceless. I put my cereal down for the cats and then NEARLY took a bite of Purina Natural Balance today...

nothingsoextraordinary Sun 24-Jul-11 19:06:47

lol Oeisha...I love it!

tunnocksteacake Sun 24-Jul-11 20:02:24

Oeisha Mon 25-Jul-11 11:22:36

Just as a small note of caution, I've just got back from my dr who is now asking me to have some swabs done (not anything near my cervix)..."it's probably thrush, but we want to be sure".
Also, my doc was a bit, umm, unsure about using a pessary, whereas my MW was fine with the idea..."some studies have shown an increased risky of early miscarriage/problems, others not"...
Basically, if it doesn't clear up quickly, go have the swabs...
...just have to remember "no latex and a long speculum please"

kri5ty Mon 25-Jul-11 11:47:01

yup pessary is fine, as is the canestan combi, with the internal and external cream... bot gp and mw have told me, it also says on their website its safe... its just canetan duo (with the oral tablet) you can not take

Greenfingers1971 Mon 25-Jul-11 18:18:23

HI, have just had treatment for the same. Cream and pessary are fine my GP says, and the stronger version (2%) is only available on prescription. From what I can make out, any oral antifungals are contraindicated in pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now