Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Varicose veins...

(12 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 19:42:03

This is possibly TMI, but I have a huge varicose vein... in my vaginal area. blush

It runs from kind of the top of my clitoris hood down into my inner labia.

I thought it looked a little swollen but upon closer inspection to do some... ahem... trimming. I discover it is actually a varicose vein. I feel so ugly, and embarrassed about this.

Is it a problem for my pregnancy/birth? I'm 29+5 btw. Is it worth mentioning to MW?

Scared to google. I'm only 23, i thought you only got them when you were old. blush

Ivortheengine8 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:46:03

Aww your poor thing, Unfortunately no you don't just get them when you are old, a lot of young women get them and they do get worse with pregnancy so hopefully it will go down after you give birth.
I'm not sure if it will cause any problem but I think you should tell your midwife so they can keep an eye on it because they can become quite nasty if they swell or get infected.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 19:49:00

I had a tiny one come up in my last pregnacy on my thigh and didn't really think anything of it but for it to come up in such a senstive and personal place, it's really bothering me. Worrying about sex now, now I know it's there I'll be paranoid it'll burst or something.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:53:55

ewww stop it! It wont burst lol grin
My Dr have me something for my suoerfical clot last time which is like a cream, I think it is called Heperanoid gel/cream, could you try and get some in the chemist? that might help.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:03:18

Sorry! grin

I'll call the MW in the morning and see what she says about it.

Have braved Dr Google and it seems promising that it may disappear after birth so hopefully it doesn't get any bigger in the meantime and hopefully it doesn't pose any problems during birth.

Thanks for your replies by the way smile

Ivortheengine8 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:07:29

Thats ok! I hope it calms down. It is a nasty place to have it though.
Good luck! smile

icravecheese Thu 21-Jul-11 20:08:28

I had exactly the same during my 2nd pregnancy, it shocked me too!! I recall mentioning it to midwife & she wasn't worried at all. Mine disappeared very quickly after birth. Oh pregnancy is so glamorous!!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:21:43

Isn't it just! How dignifying!

DH has had a snoop blush and says it doesn't look too bad but then I said how many vulval varicose veins have you seen to compare it to?! grin

icravecheese Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:51

I got my hubby to have a look too last time, poor sod-he was more traumatised than me!! I just felt VERY swollen & it was VERY purple down there. 28wks with my 3rd & no sign of them yet, fingers crossed...

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:38:21

Yes very purple - like a big purple worm, running down the left side so one side is sticking out further than the other blush

My DH got right in there for a look and didn't seem phased by it bless him.

Hope you avoid them, and the rest of your pregnancy goes well smile

goodnightmoon Thu 21-Jul-11 21:12:50

i am totally swollen down there from them, moreso on one side, and i'm only 18 weeks! started noticing it at around 12 weeks. I had it last time too (though much later) and not to worry - went away right after birth. i hate going to the loo (peeing even) because it puts pressure on the area.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 22-Jul-11 09:11:10

I called my MW and she said not to worry although it will probably get alot bigger between now and due date due to added pressure on pelvis. She said it shouldn't pose any problems for birth and should go away on its own.

Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now