Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ode to Gaviscon...

(22 Posts)
ghosteditor Thu 21-Jul-11 16:44:29

...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

[In my defence, I'm 15 weeks' pg today and have been suffering from heartburn for weeks; I just thought it was part of the nausea. I finally figured out that it's actual heart burn and bought some lovely pepperminty gaviscon just now - and I feel better than I have done in ages]

[does happy dance]

CBear6 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:47:43

Gaviscon is magical stuff. You can get a giant bottle of super-strength, pharmacy-only Gaviscon on prescription from your GP for free smile

ghosteditor Thu 21-Jul-11 16:49:54

thanks cbear I've been advised as such! The only problem is getting a GP appt in the first place angry but I will be making the most of my free prescriptions as soon as possible...

Catsycat Thu 21-Jul-11 17:00:43

Ah, yes, DH and I dip into the remains of my pg pint of super Gaviscon now and again! I never knew it was so amazing till I got pg. My MIL keeps hers in the fridge - maybe that makes it extra cooling?

buttonmoon78 Thu 21-Jul-11 17:05:44

Ladies - gaviscon will later be eclipsed by ranitidine. Only available on px.

Mark my words - that's where it's at smile

ghosteditor Thu 21-Jul-11 17:38:44

can't wait for the days grin

mmm fridge-based gaviscon!

Catsycat Thu 21-Jul-11 19:06:25

buttonmoon, does ranitidine have the same yummy minty chalkiness, or is there another flavour sensation awaiting me grin?

MamaLaMoo Thu 21-Jul-11 21:21:36

Gaviscon, my bedside companion. Your round little brown body and friendly turquoise label reassuringly solid. How I sigh when I see the dribbles of previous midnight rescues congealing on your surface. My friend.

Gaviscon, you pert little pink and white chewy tablets that nestle in the depths of my handbag. Chalky and yet sticky on my teeth. Sweet minty goodness.

Ranitidine, ooooohhhhhh ranitidine! Golden tablets of wonder. Today I looked in the box and panicked, were there enough left to tie me over to the due date? It didn't look enough, argh. Brief bit of mental arithmetic and grin I have enough, I have enough <doing little dance>.

annekins Thu 21-Jul-11 21:29:22

This thread has made me chuckle...and what is it about the texture of gaviscon tablets..are they chewy or are they chalky or are they both?

(Off to stroke the supersize tub of gaviscon tablets on my bedside table!)

pregnantmimi Fri 22-Jul-11 01:38:28

hahahahah hilarious I got given some on holiday when I had morning sicknes I was like to the the woman "you have changed my life lol"

buttonmoon78 Fri 22-Jul-11 12:02:13

Gaviscon and yummy don't belong in the same sentence - sorry grin

Ranitidine are little 'golden tablets of wonder' that you take each morning and each evening. That's it. Goodbye heartburn. Hello happiness.

supadupapupascupa Fri 22-Jul-11 12:04:18

ghost glad you're feeling better smile

harassedandherbug Fri 22-Jul-11 12:23:43

Oh I love my bottle of Gavison! I've taken to bringing it to work with me now too.

Think I may need Ranitidine though envy.

StoneBaby Fri 22-Jul-11 12:39:13

When pregnant I was really thinking on buying shares of the company! grin

I used to have a bottle at work, one in my handbag and one on the bedside cabinet. It is a life saver, throw the spoon away, just drink it straight from the bottle!!

ghosteditor Fri 22-Jul-11 12:58:58

I am slurping from the bottle right now - chalky minty life-saving stuff that it is. Can't believe I went for so long without knowing what this stuff is.

[happy face]

HomemadeCommunistRussia Fri 22-Jul-11 13:10:01

You can buy ranitidine without a prescription now. £1 at asda !

They really are fantastic and have saved my life since all that post-section Voltarol knackered my tum.

shipsladyg Fri 22-Jul-11 13:39:21

I'm a gaviscon bottle swigger who doesn't bother with the spoon. Husband said we should have had shares in Rennies & Gaviscon.

Ooo Ranitidine is fine in pregnancy!?!? Hallelujah!

buttonmoon78 Fri 22-Jul-11 16:29:40

My pharmacist wouldn't sell me ranitidine - was told it had to be on px. However, you could always lie (if questioned)!

HomemadeCommunistRussia Fri 22-Jul-11 16:38:37

oops sorry it says on the ranitidine not to take it when pregnant. blush

coastgirl Tue 26-Jul-11 13:25:55

I just remembered this thread and thought I'd come and moan among fellow sufferers. I am 38+1 and SICK AND BLOODY TIRED of heartburn, gas and general digestive discomfort. Honestly, I feel like I could deal with any other aspect of pregnancy but this. I am constantly burping or feeling full of gas and it's disgusting (I hate people burping), I can't eat anything with any joy because I know how I'll feel afterwards and everyone just says "oh, it'll be over soon" which is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I think it's one of those things that seems so small but I am completely miserable with it.

I am of course swigging the Gaviscon which helps with the pain of acid but not the bloating/gas/general sluggish horrible feeling.

CBear6 Wed 27-Jul-11 09:22:15

Dear Gaviscon,

By the time you read this you'll already know that it's over, I've left you and gone to Ranitidine. I'm sorry it had to end this way but things just haven't been working out. I know you've tried your best and given it your all, I'm just not satisfied by you anymore. I know Ranitidine is smaller but small can be powerful. Don't feel bad, we had fun while it lasted. It's not you, it's me.

Let's stay friends?

Regretfully yours,

CBear x

Bumpsadaisie Wed 27-Jul-11 10:48:38

Gaviscon Advance Peppermint Liquid,

Last time round you were my constant companion, even if you did look like spunk and make me retch when I tried to swallow you.

But this time round I'm afraid you are redundant as I have found a new wonder drug Omeprazole (on prescription) which literally has removed all heartburn/indigestion issues. I can sleep flat!

However am only 28 weeks so there is still time for me to perhaps call on your services at a later date ....

Sorry to treat you so badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now