Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can perineum scar tissue rupture due to pressure of the baby?

(6 Posts)
RSM1 Thu 21-Jul-11 14:48:53

Help! I've just had a look down there....and now a bit panicked. I'm 33 weeks pregnant with 2nd. Had a 4th degree tear last time. It feels like the baby is engaging, but putting a massive amount of pressure on my perineum! Luckily I'm not constipated! What I saw in the mirror was scary. It is super sensitive and tight. I've been keeping up with massage to prepare for VB, but can't bear to touch it now! Does anyone have experience with this?

TheRhubarb Thu 21-Jul-11 14:52:39

I tore with my first and my second baby was heavier than her. I must admit I never massaged and never looked down there so I wouldn't have known! Mention it to your midwife and they can examine you properly. I haven't heard of this ever happening but that doesn't mean it hasn't. Your MW really is the best person to advise.

Mmmmcheese Fri 22-Jul-11 10:38:56

I'm only 18 weeks and had a second degree tear last time. It has been quite painful and tight in this pregnancy and I asked the MW to have a look. She said that it looked a bit sore and that if I wasn't pregnant she would suggest someone looking at it to see if I need reconstructive surgery. Obviously if I have another VB then not much point tidying it up now for it to go through the wars again shortly!

I would recommend your MW having a look but not sure that there's anything they can do. Only thing I can suggest is doing pelvic floors?

TheRhubarb Fri 22-Jul-11 12:36:00

My GP once suggested that I might need reconstructive surgery for mine too. That shut me up! I grabbed a load of KY Jelly and started using tampons at first, before having full sex. I was more petrified of surgery than of painful sex!

It tore again with ds but not as bad and I've never had a problem since. I don't look so give a monkey's if it's all mangled up so long as it works grin

Hope your MW can put your mind at rest. Mind you when the baby's engaged I kept thinking my bumhole was going to split!

milkyways Fri 22-Jul-11 13:17:48

.....I am watching this thread. Had a 2nd degree tear with DD. I'm very scared now, I never even thought that this could happen confused. I'm 15 weeks, should I start the massage now? <petrified emoticon>

goodnightmoon Fri 22-Jul-11 18:56:16

i feel terrible pressure on that whole area, including my episitomy scar, and I'm only 18 weeks. i've got insane varicose veins all around there and forming ropes all the way down my legs - wtf. last time i had to have surgery 6 months later to clear scar tissue on the inside due to a total inability to have sex. i really doubt anything can be done though until after the fact, when the pressure will easy anyway ... oh the joys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now