Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just had my 32 week appointment and my bp has shot up. They're testing for preeclampsia. I'm a bit of a state

(47 Posts)
TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 11:32:14

My blood pressure is usually quite low at around 90/60 but today the lower number is persistently around 85. They've taken bloods and sent them away. The results won't be back until Monday and they've said 'try not to worry'. Ha!

The thing is I feel crap anyway. DH and DD have had bad coughs/colds and I too feel bunged up, sore of throat and achy. But now I don't know what's normal viral symptoms and what's potentially something else. I'm sitting here in tears. DH is working all weekend and I'm at home with an exuberant 4yo panicking that there's something wrong.

Can this just be a one off? DH was born at 31 weeks due to preeclampsia and MIL was extremely ill.

Oh gawd, somebody talk me down.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 21-Jul-11 11:37:29

How odd that the bloods won't be back till Monday. Where I work blood results are back from 2 hours of being received in the lab.

Have you got any protein in your wee?

If you start getting any symptoms such as epigastric pain, bad headache, visual disturbances you must contact someone, your midwife, labour ward, whoever.

However a diastolic of 85 isn't too bad, though obviously raised for you. Its your second pregnancy and you're less likely to have it in your 2nd especially as you didn't have it in your first. Your m/w can't be worried or she'd have admitted you.

RealityAlt0174 Thu 21-Jul-11 11:39:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 11:42:23

2nd what Viva said. If you get any of the listed symptoms, call your MW. Otherwise, she should be monitoring your blood pressure and urine sample weekly and will tell you straightaway if you need any further monitoring at the hospital or if there is any other cause for concern.

I had pre-eclampsia with DS (1st baby) and we are both absolutely fine today. Like you, I normally have quite low blood pressure but it started rising steadily from 30 weeks, until I was admitted at 26 weeks with it being picked up at 236/132 shock I was induced at 37 weeks, DS was 5lb 2oz so very small but he didn't need to be in SCBU, has developed completely normally and is now a 17mo whirlwind.

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 11:42:35

I don't know why the bloods won't be back till Monday. They just said that's how long it takes.

No protein in my urine. I can't phone my midwife, I've only just seen her and she said to just take it easy and not worry. Which I can't.

And I've already googled... I'm so worried.

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 11:42:55

36 weeks*

ksaunders Thu 21-Jul-11 11:43:21

If they were really worried they would have admitted you immediately. I was admitted twice during my last pregnancy for pre-eclampsia - high BP and protein in my urine. I'm sure being a bit rundown, with a sore throat/cold can easily push up your bp and needn't be pre-eclampsia. My bp was managed by tablets and more frequent monitoring, my ds was born at 38 weeks after induction. 6 weeks after birth, my GP said I could come off the tablets and I was absolutely fine.
Go and play with your 4yo to take your mind off it all and try not to worry!

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 11:45:09

Do you have anyone in RL to talk to? A friend, your mum etc.?

As you're so worried, it would be a good idea to call your MW to talk things through and so that she can tell you the level of concern in your particular case. Google results are very good at scare stories and worst-case scenarios but your MW will be able to give you professional advice and reassurance based on your particular circumstances. She will not lie to you and will be able to set your mind at ease rather than have you stewing over the weekend.

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 11:47:35

Midwife said not to worry, I'm probably overdoing it and she's being careful.

Nobody really to talk to in rl about it. I've only googled and read the NHS/patient uk stuff. I stay away from 7secondstilldeath.com.

RealityAlt0174 Thu 21-Jul-11 11:48:16

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 11:49:21

I can't drive and there's nobody to take me Reality.

RealityAlt0174 Thu 21-Jul-11 11:51:44

ksaunders Thu 21-Jul-11 11:54:30

I agree with AKMD. Pre-eclampsia ranges from mild to severe. If you google you will probably get a lot of worst-case scenarios. Things have changed since your MIL gave birth. If it turns out you do have pre-eclampsia then they will start monitoring you more frequently and take appropriate action to ensure that both you and the baby are fine. If you don't have protein in your urine or any of the other symptoms such as vision issues, headaches, epigastric pain...then there's a good chance it is just a one-off or pregnancy hypertension (which can be managed by bp tablets). Go to Boots/ Superdrug/ Chemist/ GP and get your blood pressure taken again later today and/or tomorrow. You may well find it is back to normal.

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 11:55:12

He's at his Mum's graduation actually. He's trying to hurry her along so he can come home but it's her big day so I've told him not to rush her.

I feel really wretched. I felt crap anyway this morning and now I feel about 100x worse.

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 11:55:53

Can they do your blood pressure at a pharmacy then?

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 11:57:44

They usually do it for free.

Honestly, if you are worried, ring your MW. She will completely understand.

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 12:02:50

But surely she'll just tell me the same thing she said an hour ago?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 21-Jul-11 12:06:15

She may well say the same, but maybe explain it a bit better so you don't worry. I imagine she'd say similar to what I've said about how you don't have other symptoms and your BP is only slightly raised. But if you hear it from her you'll be more reassured than from a stranger on the internet, understandably. Also you can ask why the bloods won't be back tomorrow.

LunarRose Thu 21-Jul-11 12:08:37

Try not to panic - if it is you've been caught early so try not to worry too much

FWIW 1st pregnancy bottom level BP was consistantly over 120, second preganacy 90, and that was it I just had high blood pressure, so it could be nothing!!!

100years Thu 21-Jul-11 12:10:15

Turtles, I totally feel for you. I went to my MW app yesterday and having been feeling weird all week I was half expecting my BP to be low as I had been light headed. Mine was 140/90, protein in urine, headaches, nausea, some spotting in eyes, was sent to the hosp straight away. I knew as soon as she said what my BP was and there was protein that I needed checking.

Had a thorough check up and BP had come down some to 132/86 with no protein in the urine sample at the hosp. Bloods done, and will only find out if there is anything wrong. But they sent me home saying they were happy that there was nothing major going on at the time. Got MW coming to mine tomorrow to do a check on BP etc again, and just got to keep a check on things.

It is worrying, I'm hoping that it was just a little scare, and nothing else will happen. Been told even if it's middle of night I can call hosp and go in to be checked.

Hope you are OK. And you can of course call your midwife if you need to, even though you only just saw her.

LunarRose Thu 21-Jul-11 12:12:33

OO yes best thing is the take a break have a brew and a biscuit, worrying will make it worse!!!

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 12:17:56

The midwife was very reassuring. She said to call the delivery suite if I had any concerns day or night and to go straight in. She said if she was worried she'd be doing more than blood tests. She's seeing me again a week today and to ring on Monday for the results. I said I'm worried and she said 'don't be'. It's easy for her to say. I'm a complete state.

Sorry you're going through this too 100years. I'm getting a headache. Which is because I've cried solidly for an hour but I can't be rational about it.

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 12:27:45

I'm glad you called your MW. Please be reassured - she does know what she's doing. Stop crying and go for a walk - endorphins might help!

CheeseandGherkins Thu 21-Jul-11 12:30:51

Your bp doesn't seem overly high at all, if they were worried they'd have kept you in. I had PE with my first daughter and delivered at 36 weeks, she stayed in scbu for a week but was fine thankfully. At its highest my bp went to 150/100 and that wasn't even that high, they were more worried because mine is usually very low in pregnancy, bottom number 50-60.

If you have no protein in your urine or any other symptoms then they wouldn't diagnose PE on bp alone usually. Worrying will make your bp higher so try to relax and not stress. You can also buy home bp monitors cheaply from the chemist (I have one) so get yourself one if you can. BP is often lower at home too as you can stress more from being in a hospital or drs.

If you do start to feel worse though then do go right in as high bp can also be without symptoms. Any flashing lights, headache, epigastric pain then I would definitely go in.

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 21-Jul-11 12:30:52

Oh I didn't ring her. This is what she said at the appointment. grin

I'm thinking of phoning her and asking her if she'll see me this afternoon just for a repeat bp. Will she do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now