Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First docs appointment - still none the wiser?!

(7 Posts)
MummySunshine Wed 20-Jul-11 15:57:48

Hi ladies

had my first docs appointment today and although I was warned I shouldn't expect much from it I'm feeling a bit bemused and still none the wiser. I had my blood taken, dates checked, and was given leaflets etc but I've realised I have NO idea what happens now?! What am I waiting for?! And I thought I would be asked what hospital I want to give birth in as I DEFINITELY don't want to give birth at my local one?!

Eek! Help!

x

thesurgeonsmate Wed 20-Jul-11 16:03:15

I asked what hospital I'd be giving birth in, and the doctor said she didn't know! It depends on your area, but where I am, you are now waiting for the midwives to get in touch, and you'd be on a pattern of appointments with them.

Snowgirl1 Wed 20-Jul-11 16:41:17

At my booking in appointment with my GP, she gave me the option of two local hospitals and then based on what I said, she arranged for a booking in appointment with the relevant midwife 'centre'. I'd ring your GP if I were you to find out what the next step is - I was expected to call the midwife centre to make my appointment, but it sounds like thesurgeonsmate was contacted by them, so it might vary from area to area.

candr Wed 20-Jul-11 17:20:22

Congrats! you should get appointments for scans in post in few days to tell you about 12 week scan and 20 week scan. I had to book MW app and she will give you list of dates that you eed to know to book Dr ,MW or scans. It does feel like a long wait till 12 week scan but helps having first MW app where you do paperwork, family history etc.

apple99 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:24:31

At my surgery you see the Dr who checks your dates etc and then he refers you to the midwives who then get in touch to make a booking in appointment at around 10 weeks. In the meantime you get appointments in the post for your 12 week scan and your handheld notes in the post to start filling in to take with you to booking in apt.

All surgeries have differing way's of doing things so maybe ring and ask the receptionist what happens next.

apple99 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:26:37

Oh and I was never asked which hospital I wanted to give birth in, it was just assumed I would be going to the nearest one to me with a maternity unit which was fine for me as I had no problem going there, maybe mention it at your booking in apt if you have a preference.

Quenelle Wed 20-Jul-11 17:29:33

You should get a booking in appointment with your MW, either at the surgery or at home.

I never got one though, after about ten weeks I got fed up waiting and rang the MW myself. She'd never heard of me. The idiots at my old surgery hadn't passed my info on.

I can't remember who asked which hospital I wanted to give birth in, might have been the GP or the MW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now