Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

acute cmv 25w

(7 Posts)
mousymouse Wed 20-Jul-11 15:12:23

actually asking for someone else.

routine blood test came back positive for cmv, previous test was negative.
she has googled and is shit scared.
scans so far showed nothing out of the ordinary.
what to expect?

mousymouse Wed 20-Jul-11 15:37:08

anyone?

grubbalo Wed 20-Jul-11 15:53:19

Hi mousey
I don't have extensive experience I'm afraid, but I have a very good friend whose sister contracted CMV while she was pregnant (she is a doctor in our local hospital which is where she picked it up). It was a very, very scary experience for her and from memory they can't really tell anything until the baby is born. Of course being a doctor she knew all the risks and it was pretty horrible for her - anyway the upshot was her baby was born on time, had to go through tests on the day he was born (which all came back fine), then more tests later on to check his hearing. He is now a very healthy, normal, cheeky 3 year old.
Sorry not to be more help and best of luck to your friend

mousymouse Wed 20-Jul-11 16:01:20

thanks for that, that sounds reassuring.

Africagirl1 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:23:04

my friend had it too. She had cordiocentesis and an amnio to check if it had done any harm. He's 2 now and no problems

mousymouse Fri 22-Jul-11 20:00:04

second blood test estimates that the infection took place between 12 and 15 weeks.
scans normal but dr says a disability is likely.
they might enroll her in a immunoglobolin (sp) study.
she has been offered a termination.

mousymouse Sun 09-Oct-11 11:46:23

update: amnio came back with no antibodies in the fluid.
baby was born last week (a girl) and apart from severe jaundice the first few days is well. further tests will be done at 6 and 12 months and then every year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now