Talk

Advanced search

BF question?!?

(10 Posts)
Squiglettsmummy2bx Wed 20-Jul-11 10:52:38

I'm 10 weeks pregnant now & am making up my list of things to buy. This will be my 3rd child & my first 2 were FF but I want to BF this time around. Do I still buy a steriliser, bottles & some formula or am I setting myself up to fail if I do? I will be having a elcs & know this can make BF a bit more difficult but I do feel determined.

nocake Wed 20-Jul-11 10:54:55

All of those things are available quickly if you need them so don't buy them now. They'll just end up in a cupboard gathering dust when you make a success of BF, as I'm sure you will <sends positive BF vibes>

nethunsreject Wed 20-Jul-11 10:55:09

Don't buy the stuff, no.

Get yourself along to a bfing support group BEFORE you have the baby. You can take older kids too.

Helplines handy.

Help arranged with older 2 for first few weeks.

Freezer packed with meals in advance.

I;ve done both and bfing is WAY easier after the first few weeks, especially with other kids in tow.

Good luck grin

Sossiges Wed 20-Jul-11 11:00:57

what nocake said - my mum (ha!) bought bottles, formula etc. which I then chucked out so complete waste of money. Lansinoh is always useful, though.

Newmummytobe79 Wed 20-Jul-11 11:04:02

We've bought a steriliser as I'd like to bf but express too.

Won't be buying formula though - fingers crossed I can bf! smile

susiesheep2 Wed 20-Jul-11 11:17:14

I BF all mine, but I did get a couple of bottles and carton milk ready at home, just in case there was a problem with me, depressing I know, but just didnt want DP to be worried about feeding if I wasnt available.

Was litterally 2 bottles and a few cartons somewhere he knew where to find. However, as people have said, you can buy bottles and forumal from the local coop if it really does come to that. Wouldnt bother with steriliser though, you can always boil the bottles I believe in an emergency.

icravecheese Wed 20-Jul-11 11:26:34

Re: sterilising, I've bought a bottle of Milton sterilising fluid (from sainsbury) that you dilute with water (can do this in a washing up bowel) in case of needing to sterilise in emergencies. Like the other posters, havent bought bottles or formula though as can easily pop down 24hr tesco in an emergency (or get hubby to!). I have bought Lansinoh, breast shells (I swear by these!!) & a widgey pillow (I swear by this too! In fact its packaging says its ideal for helping you to BF after a CS) in preparation for BF my 3rd.

Good luck breastfeeding your third, I'm sure it'll be a fab success. I didnt manage to BF my first born so he was FF after a few weeks, but I used every available help line / friend / support group available with my 2nd born & successfully BF her for 9 months, which totally amazed me as I found it so hard with my 1st.

I too am having an ELCS for my 3rd & am abit worried about milk coming in / BF being slightly harder after a CS, but lots of friends have reassured me that, even though they did experience a slight delay in milk coming in after a CS, all was fine & they BF successfully.

mumnosbest Wed 20-Jul-11 18:07:13

My 1st 2 were BF and both after CS. The 1st took 5 long days for milk to come in but then wouldn't stop! Lansinoh was a life saver as persevering was painful. Silicone teats to put over nipples when feeding were really good too to relieve pain, although everyone advised against them. Anything that helps you keep going can't be bad and I had no probs with them.
I was really worried about BF my 2nd after another CS but milk came in after the 1st day and it was plain sailing. I'm now 1o wks with my 3rd and can't wait to BF again smile

Squiglettsmummy2bx Wed 20-Jul-11 20:17:55

Thank you all for your advice & encouragement x

Davinaaddict Wed 20-Jul-11 21:19:05

I second mumnosbest with the silicone teats - I used these for weeks after DS was born (completely against the advice of my health visitor grin) and managed to bf him all the way till he weaned himself off me just after 12 months.

The one thing you may not fully appreciate until you try it (and forgive me if you did try it with DC1&2, so you might know this), is that it is fucking hard (excuse the bad language but in this instance it is fitting!). Lack of sleep will probably weaken any resolve you may have, and having 2 children already means that you probably wont get much, if any, time to rest during the day.

susiesheep2 also has a good suggestion to get a couple of ready made cartons for emergencies, or if you just need a break. Bottles are also a good idea as when you successfully BF you can express and go out and party for a couple of hours without fretting that you need to get back to feed the baby.

You will be fantastic! And remember that FF is fine for babies (as demonstrated by your 2 children!), so if you decide you don't want to continue for whatever reason, DO NOT feel guilty, like so many people think you should! Lots and lots of good luck wishes!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now