Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Support for those with Obstetric cholestasis

(17 Posts)
titferbrains Wed 20-Jul-11 10:30:50

Anyone else got it or being tested?

Am 30 wks pg. Had it with DD, diagnosed around 33 wks, and am feeling itchy again with this baby. Due Sept 24th.

Anyone know about new research? Have you been given Urso?

Anything helping to reduce itching?

Am going thru my to do list in order to keep calm and keep my mind off itching.
Ordering nice things for baby like bed side cot etc.

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 16:23:17

anyone else got it? just been in for further blood tests as first lot showed aLts at 46, over 40 is high.

Ilovekittyelise Sun 24-Jul-11 18:02:40

i've not had it myself but know several people that have. at 31 weeks wouldn't it be normal to start you on steroids to aid maturation of the baby's lungs in preparation for an early C section? hope you are ok x

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 19:16:07

Tks for post ilke

well not yet diagnosed but am starting to itch this eve. ATM it feels like my skin is a bit dry so am going to drink more water (am appallingly bad at drinking enough) and will do a nice oil based body scrub so my skin feels good before bed.

Am re-reading old OC threads as I'm apparently the only person on MN who's got it hmm atm and cannot tell you how depressing it is to think I will be uncomfortably itchy at night for several weeks. Plus all the monitoring/traipsing to hospital. Ah well. will be lovely to meet the baby a bit early and at least I don't have to deal with the last grim weeks of being fed up with pregnancy...

Crosshair Sun 24-Jul-11 21:29:05

Sorry I dont have it either. Have you tried this site:

www.ocsupport.org.uk/

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 21:35:10

Yes thanks have been on there. Just looking for pple in the same boat really, it's a bit miserable! Quite itchy tonight actually.

Crosshair Sun 24-Jul-11 21:39:15

I can imagine. My friend has the condition and cant wait to go into labour, shes also upset that they wont induce her early like her first pregnancy.

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 21:41:37

Yes it does make the birth seem very, very far away. Why are they not inducing yr friend? HAve they reduced her LFTs using Urso (meds)?

Crosshair Sun 24-Jul-11 21:43:34

I have no idea, I dont think she knows either thats why she's so annoyed and worried that something will go wrong if they leave it too late. I havent really asked her much about it, shes just told me the basics.

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 21:50:19

well she should print out info from rcog here and request that they follow guidelines or transfer to different hospital!!! terrifying to be left in the dark about how you are being treated and very disempowering. And that's not a word I use often!

Crosshair Sun 24-Jul-11 21:59:10

Thanks, Il pass on the information.

cherrybug Mon 25-Jul-11 09:18:05

Hello, I had it in my first pregnancy and was induced at 39 weeks.
I'm now pregnant again (25 weeks) and totally paranoid every time I feel an itch. My midwife has told me that it's pretty likely I'll get it again though I'm holding out some hope as there are people who havent had it in every pregnancy. She said they'll keep an eye on me from 36 weeks, whatever that means. I presume they'll take bloods to check at that stage.

Seems from reading OCsupport website that different areas of the country deal with it differently. Some see it as much more dangerous than others so I'm not sure what to think. I know bile levels are the real concern in terms of stillbirth so as long as you are being monitored hopefully they can induce at the right time if necessary.

I find when I think about it I itch more because it's on my mind. And then I get paranoid. But I remember last pregnancy my legs were red raw from all the scratching and my feet were really itchy at night so I'm presuming that the mild itching I feel is just normal pregnancy stuff.

It's rubbish though isnt it!

cameli Mon 25-Jul-11 10:42:37

How I sympathise with you. My DD is 10 weeks old and I had OC with her so the memory is still pretty vivid. I was itching from about 25 weeks but never mentioned it as I have lots of allergies and just thought it was that.

Eventually mentioned it to the consultant at 31 weeks and was tested that day - bile acids were over 40 & lft's were about 200 so was started on URSO & vit K straight away.

Had to go for weekly and eventually bi-weekly bloods/CTG & to see the consultant. Was also continually told to monitor movements and not to hesitate if worried to ring the labour suite. Was induced at 37+4 an had vbac a day later :-)

I have no words of wisdom just that i hope it gets better soon. Nothing helped my itching.

My GP has told me its 60-90% likely i will get it if i have any more babies but having had carpel tunnel, SPD & OC last time i think perhaps i wont bother.

Good luck

Gemtubbs Mon 25-Jul-11 11:17:44

I have OC at the moment and I'm 33 wks. I'm going to hospital again today for more blood tests and a scan. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I had it with the 1st as well. Been prescribed some cream for the itching which I do find helps a bit at night. I have been given steroids incase baby comes early and I've been put on vitimin K. Got a liver scan on Wednesday.

Personally I am finding it quite frightening as they keep mentioning still birth and risks to myself as well. My baby doesn't move around much, but he never has done throughout the pregnancy and I find this worrying.

Thank you for starting this topic as it's nice not to feel alone in this condition. I hope that your pregnancy goes well and that you and your baby are safe.

titferbrains Mon 25-Jul-11 13:43:27

hi all, tks for posting. good to hear I'm not the only one! Was a bit itchy last night but am doing my best to stay calm and not scratch as I know that if i've definitely got it, things are only going to get worse!!

Gem best to try not to panic as the monitoring they are doing is to prevent stillbirth, they are making sure that your baby and you are doing fine and they will be ready to spring into action if they need to get baby out, I am sure.

Re: baby movements, key thing to watch for is a change in pattern of movements so just try to remember the points of the day when baby is a bit active - if you are hungry, after you eat, when you get up, when on the loo etc. so you can spot if baby stops doing those things. Look on here to find out about the Count the Kicks campaign to prevent stillbirth. Really hope your next few weeks go by quickly. Am at least reassured that the thought of baby coming in 6 weeks is making me get a bit more organised!

Gemtubbs Mon 25-Jul-11 14:22:33

Oh yeah. The thought of being induced at 37 wks and only 4 wks to go (or even sooner) is certainly a good hard kick up the arse to get organised! Thanks for the advice about the movements, I'm doing my best to keep a close eye on things. smile

Gemtubbs Fri 29-Jul-11 23:19:17

Just got out of hospital today. Been in there since my liver scan on Wednesday. Liver scan was fine but my itching was worse and baby was not moving. They told me to come to the day unit to be monitored. When they checked my blood results, they had "doubled". Was reading 90 and now reading almost 200. Not sure what this meant, but they were concerned and kept me in for more monitoring and blood tests. Been given pills to reduce acids in my bloods, but I was told today that they have not been declared as safe to use in pregnancy. Nice to know after they started giving them to me. Any way, just need to keep an eye on baby's movements over the weekend and go back to hospital if I am worried at all. Other than that, I don't have to go back until Tuesday. How's it going for you titferbrains?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now