Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

just found out one of my tutor group has chicken pox

(10 Posts)
PotteringAlong Wed 20-Jul-11 08:57:38

I'm 22+6 and have had it before. Should I be worried? What should I do? Have tried ringing midwife but no answer (probably a bit early though)

Sewmuchtodo Wed 20-Jul-11 09:12:15

This happened to me earlier in pregnancy. MW took bloods to make sure I was ammune as I have had it before but that is not always a decider. Bloods were back in 3 days, all clear!

Good luck. x

Creamandcustard Wed 20-Jul-11 09:22:59

I too had this when pg with ds2. My GP tested my immunity and I had none so I was given a vaccine as ds1 had been exposed. The vaccine was safe in pregnancy but only lasts 2 or 3 weeks. (and was in the bum - nice!)

I'm currently pg with dc3, got exposed again (10 children at a party I was at 2 weeks ago), this time when they tested my blood I was showing immunity. Odd, as I haven't had chicken pox in the last 3 years confused

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 20-Jul-11 09:26:59

I thought I might have been exposed recently and haven't had it before. I googled and found out it is contagious for 2 days prior to the rash appearing...do you know when the person's rash came? I saw the person I know three days prior so think I'll be ok. It can take up to 20 days to incubate in you.

pleasenap Wed 20-Jul-11 09:27:09

I asked the GP as my best friend was pg and had been in contact with my DS who had CP. He said as long as she's had it, she'll be fine (didn't do bloodwork to double check). If someone wasn't immune to CP they would give immunoglobulin treatment. But I think if you've had it before (unless it was a mild dose) chances are you'll be OK. I'd still speak to the MW about it anyway though just in case she would advise to get a blood test done.

mamalocco Wed 20-Jul-11 09:27:14

Think its only dangerous to the baby if you catch in the first 14 weeks or last 4 weeks of pregnancy.

nunnie Wed 20-Jul-11 09:49:05

My two children have had (well son still has) I am 30 weeks and my mum said I have never had it, so I contacted GP who contacted hospital to get them to check my booking in blood (which apparently they keep here so yippee no need for blood test), it came back with immunity and now my mum vaguely remembers I may have had a jab when we lived in Kuwait.

Ring and ask my results were back in 24 hours.

benne81 Wed 20-Jul-11 10:00:33

Just give your GP a ring and they will arrange blood tests to check for immunity. If your immune already there is no problem, if not they can arrange for you to be given immunoglobulin which will protect you. Do it today for your own peace of mind.

Reallea Wed 20-Jul-11 10:02:46

My DS was diagnosed with chicken pox 2 weeks ago (I was 5 weeks pg at that point). Mentioned this to his doc but she said not to worry if I had had it as a child which I definitely did.

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Jul-11 10:05:37

thank you for all the replies! have spoken to the midwife and she said like mamalocco - if it was early or late then they'd test, but as it's now and I've had it before then not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now