Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting Hair Dyed at Hairdresser - 24 Weeks

(7 Posts)
Flowerydems Tue 19-Jul-11 12:33:44

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had their hair done by their hairdresser and whether it's considered safe enough at this point in pregnancy?

Just a bit of a panicky pete about pretty much everything and don't want to harm the little wriggler. Especially seeing as I know it's probably safer than me and a home dying kit which went all over my face last time blush

Any advice would be great as I'm getting mixed messages on google.

Thanks,

apple99 Tue 19-Jul-11 12:51:05

I have had my hair coloured throughout both my pregnancies without any problems.

I am sure we would be told by the midwife with all the other do's and don'ts if it was anything to worry about.

ksaunders Tue 19-Jul-11 12:59:07

It's bleaching your hair that can cause problems...not harming the baby, but your hair is more likely to break as it becomes more brittle in pregnancy. Only other thing is to make sure you have a test patch in case your skin has become more sensitive to chemicals. Most people are fine having their hair dyed.

pregnantmimi Tue 19-Jul-11 13:22:22

its fine colouring you might notice if its a all over colour it washes out quickly and doesnt "stick" ine didnt thats only thingxx

SlinkyB Tue 19-Jul-11 13:24:51

I continued to have my highlights whilst pregnant, without any problems. Think I was told it was best to try and avoid putting bleach on your scalp though. Your hairdresser should be able to advise.

CBear6 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:30:47

It's fine, I asked my MW when I was pregnant with DS - I'd gone from brunette to blonde just before I found out I was pregnant and wanted to maintain it.

She told me that using hairdye isn't harmful because any amount actually absorbed is so small it can be considered negligible and that if it was harmful to be around hairdye then hairdressers would be signed off work as soon as they get pregnant. So long as you're not planning on drinking it or bathing in it you'll be fine smile

Definitely do a patch test (where you dab a bit on your neck/elbow) and a strand test (where you dye a few strands of hair) because your hair and skin can react differently, your hairdresser will do these for you.

CrazyAlien06 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:38:01

I've been having a full head of highlights all during my pregnancy ( currently 29+2) with no worries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now