Talk

Advanced search

question about cots

(4 Posts)
laracroft2001 Tue 19-Jul-11 08:39:02

Hi all

ok, for the first couple of months, I am planning on using a moses basket for my little one. Obviously this will be outgrown pretty quickly so will need a cot.

every cot I have seen seems sooo big!?!? Most of them are cot beds things that can be changed to a bed after a couple of years. Is this right?

Also, all the advice I read says put baby to bottom of cot to sleep so they don't get tangled in bedding, but all the cots seem to come with bouncers/protectors around the top of the cot!?

???????!?

Eskarina Tue 19-Jul-11 08:48:44

Well, you could use a crib instead of a moses basket but before you move on to cot. That's what we're planning to do. They're more like proper furniture than a basket and are bigger than a basket.

I think the reason that cots have protectors around the top of the cot only is because you put baby to sleep at the foot of the bed - cot bumpers are not recommended below 6 months because of the increased risk of SIDS due to baby getting tangled up.

Hope that helps

goodnightmoon Tue 19-Jul-11 08:50:40

you don't need any protectors in the cot, and not all of them convert into beds.
we used a rocking cradle (crib) until around 6 months then moved DS into a cot. He's still in it at 3.

Flisspaps Tue 19-Jul-11 08:52:18

The cots do look huge, wait until you put the baby in it for the first time and it looks even bigger!

There are some cot beds available, but there are also a lot of 'standard' cots which you move DC out of once they're big enough for a single bed (around 2yo) rather than using a cot bed

Any sort of bumper should be removed until your DC is 12mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now