Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting pregnant again less than a year after c-section

(7 Posts)
edeluna Mon 18-Jul-11 13:32:20

DD1 is four months old and I'd love to start trying for DC2 ASAP. I had a c-section back in March and was advised by some doctors/midwives to wait at least 9 months before TTC again. I did experience one minor complication post-op: my exterior incision reopened after the stitches were removed, so it took a few extra weeks to heal. However, internally everything was fine and my GP says we could start trying after 6 months.

From what I understand, the main concern about getting pregnant again so quickly is the risk of uterine rupture during delivery. But I would need to have another c-section anyway thanks to my massive fibroids, so that's one reason my GP thought it would be fine to start trying sooner; that and I'm nearly forty, so better to give myself as much time as possible to try for the next one.

Of course, I wouldn't want to risk it if it seemed likely to prove disastrous. I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has been in this/similar situation. Thanks!

QueenCee Mon 18-Jul-11 18:29:14

I'm currently 9 weeks pg with 8 month DD. I had emcs with DD and the midwife didn't appear at all concerned when I asked about it. After DD the Dr recommended we waited a year before TTC... Hence I queried with midwife if would be a problem.... She only brought up possible uterine rupture if I wanted a VBAC.... But if you're going to gave ELCS I can't see a problem.

serendipity16 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:03:03

I was never given any advice on when it was ok to ttc.

I had my first c-section in Feb 2004, second in Jan 2005, third in May 2006 & fourth in Nov 2010.

Had no problems at all.

nunnie Mon 18-Jul-11 20:32:51

I am currently pregnant and due 23rd of September, my DS was born via EMCS on the 3rd of October 2010 so my 2nd birth will be under 12 months since EMCS.

Hoping for a VBAC.
I was advised by midwives to wait 12 months, was advised by GP to wait 6 months.
I had protected sex once and fell pregnant when DS was 11 weeks.

No one has mentioned the gap to be honest, and they think I am the ideal candidate for VBAC so they can't be too concerned.

harrygracejessica Mon 18-Jul-11 22:35:15

My ds was 8 months when I got pregnant again. No one was worried but I did get sore at the end but was carrying twins the 2nd time so much bigger.

AtYourCervix Mon 18-Jul-11 22:37:49

there's a risk of the placenta embedding in the scar if it is a frsh one. placenta accreta or percreta and praevea (over the cervix)

TuesdayMummy Mon 18-Jul-11 22:43:13

I fell pregnant 14 weeks after my c-section (oops!) - the GP and all the midwives so far have said it isn't a problem. As someone above said, if you were really determined to have a vbac then you'd have to consider the risk of rupture during labour, however (like me) you'll be having another c-section so you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now