Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need a reassuring hug...toddler tantrums vs 39 wks soo tired!!!

(9 Posts)
Ditablue Mon 18-Jul-11 11:15:13

Any MN'ers about willing to offer an unorthodox virtual hug? Am 39 weeks pregnant, soo tired, uncomfortable and ridiculous amounts of pain due to SPD and have just had a very rough morning with 21 month old DD.
Threw a massive tantrum at soft play area...couldn't get thru a certain section of it even tho she's done it loads of time...had to go in after her with her thrashing and crying against me....properly did my back in and decided to come home. She's been up since 6 which isn't that unusual and has now fallen asleep...I've just had a good ol' cry. Please reassure me I'm not a terrible/horrible/crap mum.
When she woke up at 6 I brought her into bed with me to watch tv so I could sleep for about 2 hours and am feeling guilty that I'm not stimulating her enough but I'm just soo tired. DH has already left work by then so options are limited....any reassurance or practical advice on how to imrpove things wld really help.

Renaissance227 Mon 18-Jul-11 11:21:01

You sound amazing to me to cope with all that. Try to rest as much as you can whilst DD is asleep.
Here's a BIG and well deserved hug for you...
BIG HUG smile

caramelcoffeelover Mon 18-Jul-11 11:30:13

Hi Ditablue,

You are doing great, I am currently 32 weeks into my second pregnancy and got a 23 month old to look after. I can't remember last time I took her to soft play purely because I don't feel i can cope with tantrums, getting her out of awkward places etc. I try to take her out for a walk every day and try and stimulate her by reading, playing at home lot, mainly because of the weather i have to say. By the sound of it oyu are doing much better then that and you are further along than me!! I say you should relax now, you deserved it!! You will soon have a baby to look after so need all the energy you can store at the moment, your toddler isn't going to remember or care that you didn't take him/her to soft play during this time. BIG HUG!!

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 18-Jul-11 12:32:12

No advice, just an unmumsnetty (((((HUG))))) and a wave from someone who's on exactly the same page, only with an almost-3-year-old. And just a useless hip instead of SPD.

Luckily I have a lot of painkillers. Unfortunately they're just making me feel drunk and not touching the pain.

LadyGoneGaga Mon 18-Jul-11 14:46:47

Same boat here too. 39 weeks, SPD, GD and a 3 year old. I agree that it sounds like you are doing fab. CBeebies is your friend right now - plenty of time for stimulation later when you get your energy back. My DS is properly playing up at the moment and it is no fun when you can hardly move your bulk around after them. Rest, rest, rest.

edwinbear Mon 18-Jul-11 16:14:17

I'm only 21 weeks and DS (22 months) has been such a horror this weekend I actually told nursery I was glad to be dropping him off this morning blush. If you're still taking DD to soft play at 39 weeks you're doing an amazing job, there is nothing wrong with a bit of TV whilst snuggling up with mummy early in the mornings if you need to rest. Try and get some sleep yourself when she has her sleep as well if you can.

Helzapoppin Mon 18-Jul-11 16:49:52

A hug from me too! It's so hard isn't it? TBH, I think it would be easier to still be at work a couple of days a week- a least I don't have to hoover hundreds and thousands from under the table or chase a nappiless toddler around the house!
It's good to know that others are not up to doing much either. I can't drive far as I have bad carpal tunnel syndrome and have a frequently trapping sciatic nerve so can't get too far. So it's lots of CBeebies, books and baking at our house. Luckily both grannies are doing a day each week for the next 3 weeks and I have no guilt about shutting the bedroom door and going for a sleep (or slipping off for a haircut) while they are engaging in collage making/gardening and other toddler-improving activities! Best of luck, and take every chance you can to rest smile

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:55:45

Helzapoppin envy

Ditablue Mon 18-Jul-11 17:47:39

Thanks so much ladies feels reassuring to hear a) I'm not the worst mum in the world ever for giving her tv time and b) there are others in the same boat! We can be soo stupidly hard on ourselves can't we? Was convinced the tantrum throwing was a result of not stimulating her enough which, I don't know, could be true altho I think it was a combination of her being tired/hungry/overwhelmed by all the noise!
Helza enjoy and cherish GP time, sounds amaaazing!!! Haven't had a haircut in over a year...lazy!!!! blush Maybe I'll try and squeeze one in in the next few days as a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now