Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should i call midwife or am I being a pest?!

(18 Posts)
Daiso Mon 18-Jul-11 10:26:55

Hi all

Am 22 + 4 and since about 4 weeks ago i have been feeling movements. Last week felt them a lot more and what i thought were kicks too.
Over the weekend (Sat) i noticed i hadn't felt baby much if at all so i tried to look out for it.
Yesterday was the same - hardly any movements - there IS some small flutters maybe 3 times in total but compared to last week that seems like nothing.

Do i need to take more notice of this or am i just being silly and this is perfectly normal? It's my first baby so no idea what to expect and don't want to waste midwifes time if not necessary.

Moodykat Mon 18-Jul-11 10:36:47

Call the midwife! Your not being a pest at all, it's what she's paid for!
Am sure everything will be fine but they might ask you to go in for monitoring (had this a few times in both pregnancies so far!) baby normally wakes up with elastic straps round your middle!

daimbardiva Mon 18-Jul-11 10:37:04

If you are at all worried, do phone your midwife - that's what they are there for, and you won't be wasting their time at all.

It is really hard to pinpoint movements when it's your first time, so give her a ring, get checked out and put your mind at rest x

mpops Mon 18-Jul-11 10:38:38

I think it's still very early to be counting movements and when I was at your stage I had very active days and days when almost nothing happened. But if you're stressing about it then that's no good for anyone! Your midwife is there to help so do give her a call and discuss it with her.

wolfhound Mon 18-Jul-11 10:39:35

Telephone your delivery unit (number will be on your notes). They will call you in and monitor the baby with a strap/monitor round your belly for 20 mins or so. I have done this twice (different pregnancies). Both times the baby was fine, but the midwives were lovely and insisted I come back if I had reduced movements again. You are not wasting their time at all and may save your baby's life.

pozzled Mon 18-Jul-11 10:42:00

I agree, call the mw. If you've noticed a change which concerns you, you should get it checked if only for a bit of reassurance. But try not to worry- at your stage I think it's quite common to have quieter periods when the baby changes position.

Renaissance227 Mon 18-Jul-11 10:48:23

I'm sure it's just baby has changed positions but DEFINITELY call the midwife.
At least you get to hear the heartbeat again and you will definitely be reassured that everything is ok. !

Bumpsadaisie Mon 18-Jul-11 10:55:01

Drink a pint of very cold juice then go and lie down for a bit. Give it 30 mins.

If you don't feel anything, ring midwife.

Am sure it is all fine - at 22 weeks they are still little and havent got going with the whacking big kicks yet. S/he is probably fluttering away in there but has moved around or sth.

Dont be afraid to get it checked out though.

Daiso Mon 18-Jul-11 19:42:28

Thanks for your replies. Just got in from work so poured a very cold glass of 7up ( sure that would work too??) and then going to lie down for a bit.

ShowOfHands Mon 18-Jul-11 19:46:34

You must always call for reassurance and of course go and be monitored.

BUT they do not recommend counting movements until 28 weeks for a reason. At 22 weeks they can move into a position where you can barely feel them, having been kicking and wriggling only hours beforehand.

So I'm sure everything's just fine but you must never feel a pest. That's what antenatal care is all about. Ring of course.

My midwife btw, always said the lie down, drink a cold drink thing was not in anyway recommended by her and to go for proper obstetric care instead.

Renaissance227 Tue 19-Jul-11 10:22:44

How did you get on? Have you felt more movements? Called the midwife?
I hope everything is ok.

figgygal Tue 19-Jul-11 13:37:02

Im the same been thinking for a few days do i call them but have my scan on thursday anyway so trying to hold out, sometimes think i feel something but is much lighter than it was.

H007 Tue 19-Jul-11 14:27:07

I've been feeling the same 22+3 MW said it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

SchrodingersMew Tue 19-Jul-11 15:01:37

I've posted on here in the last week about the same thing, it had me sick with worry so I know how you must feel.

Please do call your MW just in case, I actually got into trouble from them for leaving it so long! blush

Daiso Wed 20-Jul-11 11:24:02

Hi ladies,

Sorry for not updating sooner.

I felt bubs move a lot yesterday ( at least i think i did!) and got a couple of hefty kicks too so am feeling more reassured. Thanks for your replies. I'm going to keep an eye on it and will call the midwife if needed.

Bluetinkerbell Wed 20-Jul-11 11:32:05

please do call your MW or go in to get checked! I had a MMC at 20 weeks! Had felt the baby move from about 12 weeks onwards and heard heartbeat 15+4 weeks. After that didn't feel movements a lot anymore but still some. At my 20 weeks scan it appeared no heartbeat and baby had stopped growing around 16 weeks! I swear I felt it move even the days before that scan! I don't want to scare you at all, but please do get checked out properly!

ToriaPumpkinPasty Wed 20-Jul-11 11:36:15

Hi Daiso mine seems to have four really active days then sleep for pretty much 48 hours solid. Drives me mad! As you've said, lying down and cold drinks and as another poster said tight things tend to get them moving!

If it happens again and you get worried then do call your MW or the delivery unit, that's what they're here for.

roz1982 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:04:56

I'm pretty much at your stage of preggo and I have had a very similar experience; in the week leading up to 20 week scan I was feeling lots of movement, some quite strong and at scan the baby was moving lots; then for a couple of weeks after (im 23 weeks) movemetns really declined and I was a bit worried; there were some, but not as much. However I kept growing so wasn't too worried. since weekend movements are back and getting stronger and stronger; can actually feel them now on hand and they are much more regular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now