Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-Eclampsia 1,2,3 times

(7 Posts)
27tilly Mon 18-Jul-11 10:13:50

Ok I'll keep it short!

We have 2 Kids one is 8 and the other is 3, I had pre-eclampsia with both of them, Both born early, One at 34 weeks one at 32 weeks.

Now the doctors are not able to tell me if I'd get it again just say there is a risk

Has anyone had it 3 times? Is anyone really that unlucky??

We want to have another baby but I am terrified

WiiUnfit Mon 18-Jul-11 13:01:47

Hi tilly, no advice / experiences to share but watching intently as I've just had PE with DC1 born at 37+2 in June.

Hoping you get some answers!

KSal Mon 18-Jul-11 14:35:53

I had v high blood pressure with DC1 and gave birth spontaneously at 36 weeks (I suspect, looking back that I had developed PE, but it hadn't been picked up yet - I needed post-partum BP meds for quite a while). Second pregnancy the consultant told me that I "will definitely have problems"... lo and behold I was admitted with PE at 36 weeks, induced at 37

basically my consultant's take on it was that I clearly had a pregnancy blood pressure issue and because for all subsequent pregnancies I would be older (naturally) it was more likely to happen each time. She said we would have to be careful with the third... mind you she's a scary woman frankly.

I realise that's not what you want to hear, but she was v. matter of fact about me going for a third, so it must be doable (even though I'm not planning it). I guess that they would manage the blood pressure earlier and perhaps monitor you more frequently. Is your local maternity unit consultant led?

Hope this is helpful.... even though it doesn't really answer your question!

27tilly Mon 18-Jul-11 18:15:55

Thanks for your replies, It's just quite scary thinking the next one could be earlier, I had EMSC with both of them.

It's a very difficult decision to make, Think I'm going to make an appointment to see my consultant

otchayaniye Mon 18-Jul-11 18:35:12

I had preeclampsia with my first (born at 36 weeks) but have reached 35 weeks with this one with nary a sign of preeclampsia.

I have had frequent monitoring but all has been well and although baby is smaller than 50th centile is growing well.

Very good luck.

Oh, I put 4 stone on with my first (some was obviously water retention) and I am very slim this time, having gone from 8.9 stone to 9.7 stone in 35 weeks. Doc says that not being bigger may have reduced a large risk factor.

KSal Tue 19-Jul-11 07:48:50

I agree that there are definitely things you can do to reduce the risk/delay it. Try to stay reasonably fit, don't put on too much weight. I also stopped work earlier with the second one to try to get some proper chilling time.

27tilly Tue 19-Jul-11 08:44:27

I'm only tiny, 7.5 stone, Always have been. This time I'm not working so going to take it really easy, Think it's going to be just hope and prey!!

Fingers crossed :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now