Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How ill is 'normal'?

(9 Posts)
fufulina Mon 18-Jul-11 09:56:33

Hello ladies. This is my third pregnancy and I'm almost nine weeks. But I don't remember feeling this ill the last two times. Sounds odd, and I know I did feel rough, but this time I feel almost food poisoning sick, with tummy pains (needing to crunch legs up to tummy) as well as general nausea and exhaustion. Worst times are from 4pm until about 3am. Tends to ease in the early early morning and as long as I eat before I get up, I'm OK-ish.

Is this normal? Or is it a sign something is wrong? Don't have an appointment until 11+5 for booking in, bloods and scan all in one hit.

Thanks in advance.

Renaissance227 Mon 18-Jul-11 10:46:09

Sounds very familiar to me. I had this until week 11, then it eased a bit but didn't go away fully until week 17/18.
Hang in there and get as much rest as humanly possible!
Congratulations by the way! smile

MrsHuxtable Mon 18-Jul-11 10:51:37

Hello,
I was and am still quite ill. I have hyperemesis and would have also described it similar to food poisoning. I didn't have any tummy pains though.
Why don't you just go and see your GP, only to be on the safe side. Pregnancy symptoms are so different for everyone, its hard to tell how ill is normal.

fufulina Mon 18-Jul-11 10:58:48

Thank you ladies. Urgh. I find it difficult to believe that something that is supposed to be so normal can feel so hideous! SURELY I should be skipping through fields in hazy sunshine looking all radiant?? Thanks again for the replies.

bcmummy Mon 18-Jul-11 11:34:41

I am just over 9 weeks at the moment with DC2 and am also wondering if my sickness is "normal" or if I should be going to my GP! I have been feeling exhausted/nauseous constantly for about 3-4 weeks now but for the last 10 days I have been throwing up about twice a day and like you have also had some horribly painful tummy cramps which I think is just my digestive system going on strike! I am not usually sick after the early afternoon and can keep down small amounts of food & drink from then onwards. Everything I have read seems to suggest that as long as you are being sick less than 3 times a day and are managing to keep down SOME food and drink then you are ok...but I don't feel ok that's for sure! I was never sick once with DC1 and only had a few days of mild nausea so that was what I was expecting this time round too - no such luck! Luckily I have my booking in appt with the midwife tomorrow so I will be asking her opinion. And someone recommended travel sickness bands to me so I am off out to get them later. Hope you start feeling better soon.

nannyl Mon 18-Jul-11 11:42:15

I also had HG.... I can honestly say i felt so ill i wondered if i was going to die... shock

think of the absolute worst you ever feel with proper flu.... and continue with no let up at all for 2 - 3 months.

I was hospitalised around 8 weeks and signed off until 16 weeks... at which point my contract finished. Id have struggled with actually going to work until 18 weeks though.

I had NO IDEA you could feel that ill being pregnant! Boy was i thrown in at the deepend... having thought it would all be amazing and wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

nannyl Mon 18-Jul-11 11:43:17

Just to add, i hope all you poorly people start feeling better soon X

theonlyhb2 Mon 18-Jul-11 11:55:56

i did think how sick i was was "normal" but it was my first...then diagnosed with hyperemesis. On the support thread there are a few who never had in previous pregnancies. Go to Dr lots of meds they can give. Hope you feel better soon x x

wompoopigeon Mon 18-Jul-11 13:43:12

I remember talking to a friend who said she was glad she knew she was pregnant otherwise she was so tired she would have thought it was a brain tumour. We're talking about getting 12 hour sleep a night and still being a dribbling wreck all day, nausea etc. I am 11 weeks and late to work for being sick then at work I keep having to lie down on the floor of the disabled toilet as I am so faint.
The only thing which sounds unusual about your post are the tummy pains. Cramping sounds familiar but if you're describing something more serious I'd go to the GP to set your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now