Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

curvature of the spine bad back/rib pain, any advice?

(10 Posts)
MrsRhettButler Sun 17-Jul-11 21:33:44

Hi I'm 33 weeks pg with dc2 and I have slight curvature of the spine, after my waist it curves towards my left which means that my right rib is pressing on the baby and causing me really bad rib and back pain, I'm literally in tears most nights now and nothing seems to ease it except a bath so hot that I almost pass out.
Has anyone else had this problem? I don't have a mw app until next monday and tbh I'm not sure if there's anything to be done anyway but the thought of going through this pain daily for the next 7+ weeks is beginning to fill me with dread sad
It really is relentless.

littlebrighteyes Sun 17-Jul-11 22:09:17

hi

i also have s curvature of my spine -{my mum had hers like an s shape and suffered alot with it)
mine wasnt noticed till i was about 30-one of my legs is longer than the other -and my hip sticks out-i get alot back ache so can relate-but not rib ache-im 34 weeks with number 4.
my neck and shoulders seem to suffer more because of my posture and it pulls on my neck muscles-and usually take painkillers for and use voltarol rub-but havnt been able to while expecting,i used to favour hot baths too but now expecting even warm baths make me go lightheaded so ive been showering instead.
i use wheat bag sometimes for the pain as heat seems to help.......i know im not much help..........
just wanted u to know u not alone x

littlebrighteyes Sun 17-Jul-11 22:10:51

that should say
i also have A

my spine isnt s shaped -but my mums was.

whenwill Mon 18-Jul-11 00:41:59

WOuld an osteopath help releive the pain/any associated muscle spasms?

MrsRhettButler Mon 18-Jul-11 21:38:36

Thanks for replies, any heat usually works but only for as long as the heat is searing hot and the effects don't last sadly sad
Sorry to hear you have similar problems littlebrighteyes the worst thing is the no pain killers and the knowledge that it will last for as long as the pg does.
I'm going to call the midwives in the morning and ask if its worth seeing a doctor, maybe the doc could refer me if possible whenwill, I don't have any spasms just never ending pain sad

Bella2011 Mon 18-Jul-11 23:09:43

Hi there, I have scoliosis and am TTC. I am really worried that I will have bad back pains when pregnant. My friend has scoliosis and has just given birth but hers isn't too bad, (she's just been filmed for One Born every Minute!). My back muscles are constantly in spasm. I am slim (size 8) and it is bad enough at the moment, but when I start carrying baby weight, I am worried it will get worse. I have been told I would probably need a C section too. Mine is in my lower back and doesn't affect my ribs etc. I'd love to hear your continuing story as to how you get on x

MrsRhettButler Tue 19-Jul-11 22:19:40

Hi bella, I guess it all depends on where the baby lies and where the problem in your back is. Mine is definitely worse this time than it was with dd but I'm not sure why confused
I'm going to call the mw tomorrow and ask whether its worth calling the doc I'm still unsure if doc can help or not but I will certainly come back and update smile
Is yours very bad? I mean that you would need a cs? I'm actually surprised by the amount of pain I'm in because mine is very mild, to the point that you can't notice just by looking at me and the only thing the doc 'prescribed' before I was pg was pilates.
Good luck TTC, hope all goes well for you smile

MrsRhettButler Tue 19-Jul-11 22:25:40

I realise I just said I'd call the mw two days running, my phone was broken today I had to buy a new one! I'm not on here talking rubbish! grin

Gemsie77 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:37:56

Hi, I'm just new to this. I'm due to have my c section on 16th August, so not long now. I think I might have a siatic nerve problem or a trapped nerve. It's most apparent when I sit on the loo and can make me yelp in pain. Has anyone had this? I also have had aching 'down there's for months and was told that's to do with the pressure. I have had lots of physio on my pelvis before being pregnant.
Any advice or info would be good thanks.

I've also posted this on the August babies thread. My problem seems minor compared to.you poor guys with scoliosis.

MrsRhettButler Tue 19-Jul-11 23:14:45

Ooh it doesn't sound minor to me gemsie sad
I don't have any aching down below, I think half of my problem is that I am carrying so high, in fact I can't wait for the day she 'hopefully' engages and drops a bit! (Dd didnt engage until I was in labour)
Good luck with your cs, it must be nice to know the date you'll be getting your baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now