Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

possible carpal tunnel-worth ringing doctor?

(8 Posts)
jimmijam Sun 17-Jul-11 19:01:29

Hi, i havent read much about it yet but think i may have carpal tunnel syndrome. This is our 3rd child and i didnt get it with our 1st 2. Have woken up in the night quite a few times over several nights with pins and needles in my hands. Last night i woke with a dead arm type feeling and today my hands have been hurting all day and feeling odd. Is it worth speaking 2 a dr about or should i just wait until mw appt in a couple of weeks? Im 33weeks along.

theonlyhb2 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:42:36

there's not a lot you can do for it. I didn't even bother telling mw as she didn't even ask why i was seeing a physio when i mentioned it. My physio said should go back to normal 6 weeks after birth.

jenniec79 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:46:57

It's fluid related - keep hands up and moving may help minimise a bit. Splints from physio can also minimise symptoms. If just now come on suddenly or swelling elsewhere would rule out protein in wee (might you bring MW appt forward to this week for a dipstix)

If it doesn't settle after birth would be pretty unusual, but can be dealt with in very small op under local. (ten mins)

BestNameEver Sun 17-Jul-11 19:50:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redfoxy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:56:06

You can get a very sexy (not!) hand splint that will keep your hand in a position while you sleep or whenever it feels uncomfortable, that will help. If it is really bugging you, I would go or at least phone up straight away, you may just be able to get one from a nurse, or physiotherapist, explain your situation and get to talk to either, ie. you may not need to wait to see a doc.

In pregnancy it should just go away after so not really much to worry about.

I've had the surgery for CT and it's no fun, I had CT in pregnancy and it went away afterwards, but because of my job and apparently predisposition combined with an old injury, I got it again a few years later. It got to the point where I couldn't sleep at night and was quite crippling.

Stretching exercises with your hand can help alleviate it also, again ask a physiotherapist. Hope that helps.

jimmijam Sun 17-Jul-11 21:35:54

Hadnt realised swellings linked 2 it 2. Had 2 put my hand on some ice 4 a few mins yesterday as my wedding ring got 2 tight and i wanted 2 take it off 4 a bit. Am working next 2days so will phone up surgery wed 2 ask about splint. Do they come on prescription or can we just buy them from chemist?

redfoxy Sun 17-Jul-11 21:48:14

Doc just gave me one when I went in for initial consultation they had stacks just sitting in a cupboard at my docs surgery! I'm sure you can buy them too.

wigglesrock Sun 17-Jul-11 22:21:05

I had carpal tunnel syndrome with dd1 but it didn't come back with the next 2dds!! I found the hot/cold packs the best relief - the hot pack worked the best for me. I got a referral for a physio before dd1 was born, we worked on some exercises, I didn't bother with the splint, I found it very awkward.

It took about 6-8 weeks after the birth for the pain to go, but obviously the painkillers did help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now