Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No kicking or movement...

(19 Posts)
MyBloodyChamber Sun 17-Jul-11 18:46:26

I am 21 + with my second baby. My ds kicked for the first time around 19-20 weeks, however when I went for my blood test 2 weeks ago, the midwife presumed that I should have been feeling movements for the past few weeks (as early as 14 weeks she said as it's my second and my stomach muscles are probably well and truly fucked slack). Only just realised I'm 21 weeks as I got my 2nd scan letter yesterday and realised I haven't felt anything. I have an impressive bump so something is growing, but should I feel concerned; and if so how long do I leave it before letting my MW know and getting monitored?

beebee1978 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:52:40

I didn't feel mine till I was 22 weeks. He was my 1st but he was never much of a kicker, just laid back and used to wriggle now and again. People used to freak me out and say I should have knees and elbows prodding me but that never happened and I was overdue in the end. Saying all that he is a laid back baby. I wouldn't worry to much but to reasure us we bought a Doppler to listen to the heartbeat. All the best

MyBloodyChamber Sun 17-Jul-11 19:05:07

My son kicked like mad...it's just weird that I'm coming on 22 weeks and felt nothing-and it's my second.

Should I leave it a week before finding out what's going on?

beebee1978 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:11:10

I think if ur worried u should contact ur mw in the morning and ask for an appointment to see her then she can check u over to make sure everything's ok.

CBear6 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:20:55

Anything up to 24 weeks is considered normal for kicks, even in a second pregnancy. Do you know yet where your placenta is? Anterior placenta can delay feeling kicks up to as late as 28 weeks.

If your at all worried though see the MW and she can listen in. They're still relatively small at this stage so they can be kicking away without it reaching the outside or kicking against the placenta or your back.

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:25:17

Do you know if the placenta's anterior? If it is it could just be that the baby's kicking that instead of you. I agree if the old 'sit back with some ice cream' trick doesn't work, contact your midwife.

MyBloodyChamber Sun 17-Jul-11 19:26:22

Ok, thanks. Well I have my scan Tuesday so I'll hang on for that I think... Thanks smile

MyBloodyChamber Sun 17-Jul-11 19:26:52

What's an anterior placenta?

paternal Sun 17-Jul-11 19:36:04

Anterior placenta, means it's laying in front of the uterus and that the baby is behind it.

MyBloodyChamber Sun 17-Jul-11 19:40:03

Does that

a) change
b) have any negative effect on the pregnancy
c) indicate any complications of delivery?

dribbleface Sun 17-Jul-11 19:47:16

had anterior placenta with DS, and have posterier this time. Made no difference to me last time with it being anterior.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 17-Jul-11 19:48:40

Have you had any movements yet?

LadyOfTheManor Sun 17-Jul-11 20:02:12

No, nothing. Sod all.

LadyOfTheManor Sun 17-Jul-11 20:02:41

Wrong thread!

Macaroona Sun 17-Jul-11 20:13:51

Watching as also have a non-kicking bump.

Does it just feel like trapped wind moving around when they kick? I've definitely had that, but I'm pretty sure it's actually just wind blush

CBear6 Sun 17-Jul-11 20:35:25

It can feel like trapped wind or like little bubbles popping inside of you. DS and DD both had a love of stomping on my cervix - I know that's not what they were doing but it's what it felt like! It can also feel like the butterflies you get in your tummy when you go over a hill/bump in the road or like something rolling inside of you. At 20 weeks the uterus is just below your belly button so all the movements will be fairly low down. Early on I found that lying on my back or side was the easiest way to feel something.

Also anterior placenta won't affect delivery, etc. It can mean movements are slightly cushioned but I had anterior placenta with DS and I have anterior placenta this time and I feel more movement this time round.

ShowOfHands Sun 17-Jul-11 20:42:17

The difference between movements with an anterior or posterior placenta can be vast. With an anterior placenta they can be so well cushioned behind it that you just don't feel much at all until 24 weeks or later. They make up for it later on though once they can reach above/below/round it and sometimes all at once.

If the placenta is anterior, it's anterior. It's attached at the front and won't move. It's no reason to worry at all. Babies do like to face the placenta though so you are slightly more likely to have a baby who is back to back throughout pregnancy. Obviously this can stay the same during delivery, but the same is true of a posterior placenta. And you are still more likely to have a baby who is back to front even if you have an anterior placenta. And obviously plenty of women delivery back to back babies normally. It's really not a problem at all, just cushions movements significantly and very marginally increases the chance of the baby being op.

CBear6 Sun 17-Jul-11 20:48:22

DS was OP in labour after being correctly positioned from 36 weeks onwards, he swung around partway through labour and wouldn't budge, I still had a vaginal delivery though. He was my first so I don't have a frame of reference to say whether or not my labour was any harder than that of a non-OP baby.

banana87 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:08:40

Just to add that I am 21 weeks and have an anterior placenta as well. I feel some movement, but usually only when I lay on my back and it is very very light. I had an anterior placenta with DD as well and I finally felt strong kicks at about 24 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now