Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do scans work before 12 weeks?

(11 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Sun 17-Jul-11 14:10:30

I am not in the UK, so NHS rules do not apply to me.

I am going to be travelling from 11 weeks to 15 weeks. Had planned to get my first scan done when I returned, but have started to think it might be nice to get one done before I head off.

I don't want a vaginal scan, just one of those unobtrusive, cold gel on the belly sorts. Check if there's anything in there, and that it's in the right place, sort of thing.

Will there be anything to see at 10 / 11 weeks?

angellize Sun 17-Jul-11 14:17:41

yes there will be, vaginal scans are usualy done up until 9 weeks. So you should be ok.
Good luck x

skintoff Sun 17-Jul-11 14:19:48

Should be ok afaik, I have had lots and lots of early scans over the years. With me I have had the vaginal scans' before 9 ish weeks and normal ultrasounds afterwards.
Might be worth asking what proccedures the scanning dept has though before you book it.
Good luck and hope all is well

catsareevil Sun 17-Jul-11 14:24:22

I have had an US at about 10 weeks and it was fine - external scan only, and could see the baby and heartbeat.

Ilovekittyelise Sun 17-Jul-11 14:33:30

you should be able to see plenty; however, i believe the dates where combined screening for down's and other chromosomal abnormalities are effective are between 11+0 and 13+6.

Tangle Sun 17-Jul-11 14:34:01

At 10/11 weeks you should be able to see how many, where and check heart beats with an abdominal scan.

The only disadvantage is that if you cannot get a scan while you are away you will miss the time period for the nuchal screening/combined test for Down's (IIRC it needs to be done between about 11 and 14 weeks). I don't know whether its offered where you live, or if you'd want it even if it is - but if you would choose to have it it might be worth looking at options. Are you traveling to a location where it would be possible to get the scan done locally?

otchayaniye Sun 17-Jul-11 15:19:02

I had my first baby in Singapore and had an ultrasound scan at 5 weeks (heartbeat detected strongly and something visible, then had them weekly and at 11 weeks or so was told the sex.

nutterbutsquash Sun 17-Jul-11 15:41:35

i had a dating scan at 8 weeks. as above, could see something (looked like a broad bean) and a heartbeat.

banana87 Sun 17-Jul-11 16:33:01

I had an external scan at 7 weeks so I should imagine you will be fine.

TallulahBetty Sun 17-Jul-11 20:39:48

I had an abdominal scan at 6+5 - couldn't see much apart from flickering heartbeat but it worked x

mummyzoe2012 Sun 17-Jul-11 20:46:02

ive had two early scans one at 7 weeks and one at 10 weeks 5 days and both of them were normal scans with the gell on the tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now