Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy friendly insect repellents?

(6 Posts)
Rushyswife Sun 17-Jul-11 08:39:48

Hi there!

First ever post! I am 9+1 weeks pregnant and due to go on holiday to tge south of France next week. It hadn't even crossed my mind that not all insect repellents were suitable for use in pregnancy and I was wondering if anyone knew of any that are safe to use? I know Marks and Spencer do a Deet free one but was unsure if it also contains other nasty chemicals.

Honestly! As a first timer this pregnancy lark seems to be a bit of a minefield! I feel like unless you are pro active you can unwittingly do lots of 'bad' things. Either that, or I am as clueless as I feel! Anyway any advice gratefully received!

justabigdisco Sun 17-Jul-11 16:10:26

I bought a Jungle Formula one from Boots, it is called 'natural' and I think it is eucalyptus/citrus type smell, no DEET. It didnt say anything about pregnancy but I checked with the pharmacist and they said it was fine.

MyBloodyChamber Sun 17-Jul-11 18:42:23

I didn't even know the usual brands weren't pregnancy safe! I was strimming the other day (22 weeks) and used whatever I could find. Bastard horse flies still got me...however I am here to tell the tale.

Hersetta Sun 17-Jul-11 18:54:46

I've been to the Maldives twice whist pregnant and use a natural product called Mozzi-guard. Pump action spray is available from amazon (not many chemists stock it) and it is specially for babies and pregnant women. It is brilliant and is now the only repellent we use as a family. We never picked up a single bite with it in the maldives in may or in corfu last July.

Rushyswife Sun 17-Jul-11 19:10:58

Thanks guys! Will try and get hold of that one hersetta!

Rushyswife Sun 17-Jul-11 19:12:19

Thanks guys! Will try and get hold of that one hersetta!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now