Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mozzy bite driving me bonkers - what can I use?

(22 Posts)
saltyseadog Sat 16-Jul-11 21:29:05

I have a mozzy bite that is driving me to distraction. After Bite is proving worse than useless. What else can I try <desperate>? Has to be pregnancy friendly, so anything steroid or antihistamine based is out sadly.

AKMD Sat 16-Jul-11 21:31:08

A. wet ice cube is great. Otherwise you can get a mini electric-shock device that should be harmless and simulates scratching without the bad effects.

AKMD Sat 16-Jul-11 21:32:29

This is it: Boots Bite Sting Relief Click-it

pregnantmimi Sat 16-Jul-11 21:33:29

how do you feel about tea tree? you might want to research it yourself to see what you think cause some people say you can use it some cant. I put few drops in bath for mozzie bites also good for thrush. I thought it got to be better than some stuff.

ksaunders Sat 16-Jul-11 21:33:45

In my jet-setting days, pre-children, a St Lucian suggested rubbing a lime on my bites. It worked for me! But obviously you will smell of lime afterwards lol.

Paschaelina Sat 16-Jul-11 21:39:10

You can take some antihistamines in pregnancy. I had Loratadine when I was pregnant.

AtYourCervix Sat 16-Jul-11 21:40:31

soap. rub a bar on to the btte. or half a lime, maybe wrong time of night but i have half a one in my fridge.

saltyseadog Sat 16-Jul-11 21:57:03

Do you think a lemon would work? I've had a rummage through the fruit bowl and only have a couple of dessicated lemons.

JimmyChoo17 Sat 16-Jul-11 22:02:01

Tiger balm. I swear by the stuff as I react to mozzie bites and its the only thing that calms the itching nd swelling i get. it's safe to use during pregnancy too.

JimmyChoo17 Sat 16-Jul-11 22:04:26

Ps u can buy it in 24 hour tescos or sainsburys etc swell as chemists etc.

Likesshinythings Sat 16-Jul-11 22:04:46

We have some amazing bite and sting plasters from Boots. The downside for a grown up is that they are Mr Men shaped, but they completely stop the itching etc

saltyseadog Sat 16-Jul-11 22:46:23

Oooh I hadn't thought of Tiger Balm - good idea.

I bought one of those klicky things and it says you can't use them during pregnancy. Anyone know why not? confused

JimmyChoo17 Sat 16-Jul-11 23:28:41

It's the current and effectively shocking yourself (even tho it's such a small voltage) and the fact they can't test them due to ethical reasons...that's what chemist told me. Can u tell I spend a lot of time and money when it comes to holidays and mozzies? grin

I hate them! Used to ruin whole holidays due to bites, they love me and would seek me out in an airtight container!

I know go armed with mosi guard and tiger balm job done! Both fine for pregnancy and for when baby arrives

Rootatoot Sat 16-Jul-11 23:31:29

Doc said can use creams just not antihistamine tablets. I react badly and i put some on this week. Also witch hazel gel is nice and cooling.

MummyAbroad Sun 17-Jul-11 01:47:40

I second the clicky thing. I live in Costa Rica, get bitten all the time and it works really well. (though for the very best results you need to use it as soon as you notice the bite) I am 24 weeks pregnant and still using it (the label is there because it hasnt been tested, and is never likely to be, but IMO its safer than chemicals) I used it when pregnant with DS too - he is a healthy three year old with no problems whatsoever.

OrangeGloss Sun 17-Jul-11 05:58:09

I wanted to use Tiger Balm when I had sinusitis and both the MW and Boots pharmacist said no. I think it's because it hasn't actually been tested and certified ok for pregnant women so they physically can't approve of it. Actually my MW was quite pragmatic and said that as it's topical it 'probably' wouldn't do any harm but I suppose in her profession that's the best she could say. Pre-pregnancy I've always used it for bites, best thing I've found

Oh, and damn mozzies they're a right pain aren't they sad pardon the pun smile

saltyseadog Sun 17-Jul-11 10:13:50

Have started with the clicky thing - the zapping is very satisfying!

JimmyChoo17 Sun 17-Jul-11 14:07:00

Started early labour this morn ing...am strapped to a tens machine....now if this is safe those clicky things must be ok!as long as not on bump of course....

saltyseadog Sun 17-Jul-11 15:32:36

Ooh how exciting JC. Any news yet? (agreed on the safety of clicky thing - I can't inagine how it would fo any harm whatsoever, TENS is far more hardcore!).

ToriaPumpkinPasty Sun 17-Jul-11 16:02:23

If the clicky thing doesn't cut it then I use Germolene. Have horrid reactions to mozzie bites (last time I was abroad I had bite reactions the size of side plates) and it's wonderful stuff. Asked the MW who said it's safe to continue to use so was covered in the stuff last weekend after being eaten alive by midges.

saltyseadog Sun 17-Jul-11 16:13:24

I've been slathering that on too TPP. My white sheets are now streaked germolene pink blush. Tis magic stuff.

MummyAbroad Sun 17-Jul-11 16:18:44

Good luck Jimmychoos!

by the way, OP, dont expect the clicky thing to be instantaneous, its not but after 10 mins you should notice the itchy has stopped or reduced. You may need to reapply in 2 hours. (I usually dont have to if I caught the bite really early)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now