Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else's 2nd/3rd/4th etc pregnancy completely different to 1st?

(9 Posts)
limason Sat 16-Jul-11 18:27:35

I'm 19 wks into my 2nd pregnancy - due Dec - and am having a heck of a time dealing with my pregnancy in general. With DD1 I didn't have any real trouble with my size, changing body or mood swings, but this time around I'm already quite big but feel like I've let myself go rather than pregnant and am having a real problem with mood swings & stretch marks, they're off the chart! I've read that no two pregnacies are the same but didn't realise they could vary that much. Anyone else in/been in the same boat???? It would really put my mind at ease! confused

CBear6 Sat 16-Jul-11 18:32:46

This pregnancy has been totally different to my pregnancy with DS.

Last time I bled on and off all of the way through, this time just once at 9 weeks. DS measured big right the way through (when they do fundal measurement), this one is always measuring spot on - 31cm fundal height at 31 weeks whereas DS was 35cm at 31 weeks. DS I was bone crushingly tired in the first trimester and only felt sick and it was gone by 13 weeks, first trimester this time I wasn't as tired but I was actually being sick and it lasted right up until 20-ish weeks (and I still get sick if I let myself get too hungry). Heartburn has been horrendous with both though.

Poppet45 Sat 16-Jul-11 19:36:42

Oh yes me too! First pregnancy I was doing loads of fitness classes, was teeny tiny and even kept my waistline but with the biggest all out in front bump - just ridiculously big, it was called the 'novelty bump' by my other pregnant friends. I didn't have morning sickness, just belched for about a month. Craved healthy food, had glowing skin and hair. DS was a whopper and the birth was no fun at all.
This time, I was burping from about week three when I took the test, had about 6 weeks of feeling hideously queasy, my skin is rubbish, my hair is well nothing to write home about, I don't like veg but live for meat and dairy and my bump is a very wide one, total girl shape in fact. And indeed she is a most gorgeous wee girl from the scans. Most pleasing for me is she's bang on normal size or even a little below so please goodness she'll make it out without having to use the sunroof. Wonder if you're having a different 'flavour' DC too this time OP?

goodnightmoon Sat 16-Jul-11 20:41:28

mine too. didn't show until around 24 weeks with my son and was jogging until 30 weeks. my skin and hair looked great.
this time i feel enormous, (am around 18 weeks, also due in December). My boobs are just unbelievably big and sore, and clothes won't fit over my thighs and bum so it's definitely not just my belly getting bigger. i already have flare-ups of SPD so can't really exercise.
please don't mention stretch marks - i got through without those the first time and i am dreading an appearance this time, yet if seems somehow inevitable!
i'm still excited though, if i can just get through the next 22 weeks without losing control of my body and mind!

lucamom Sat 16-Jul-11 21:51:21

Sounds like I'm bucking the trend - this is third successful pregnancy (had a miscarriage at 6 weeks before getting pregnant this time around), all have followed the same pattern (possibly each time with heightened symptoms - slightly worse sickness and SPD etc, but generally the same feelings).

Even my bump is the same (all at the front) - and my first 2 were boys and this is a girl, so that particular myth is expelled!

hollyw Sat 16-Jul-11 22:02:54

This is my fourth pregnancy and it's been a complete nightmare compared to the other 3 . I love being pregnant but this time I've had enough! I felt a lot sicker in the 1st trimester, I've actually been sick a few times in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters which has never happened before. I wretch all the time. I'm huge. I've got high amniotic fluid levels. I had a weekend where I thought I had SPD I literally couldn't get out of bed and was in agony. No idea what happened as it cleared up. This week I've pulled a 'rib' muscle and am close to useless. I can barely do anything. Oh and the indegestionn/heartburn has been chronic.

Think I'm getting too old to do this
x

Lifeissweet Sun 17-Jul-11 09:31:22

My last one was fairly straightforward up until it all went dreadfully wrong at 24 weeks (only 11 wks now, so it could all happen again...). This time, I am bloated, feel horribly fat, am showing already - but in a looking like I've gone flabby, but not actually pg yet way. I have pregnancy rhinitis, so my nose is constantly runny and I can't breathe. I've been sick constantly (although it hasn't helped with my expanding waistline) and I'm altogether pretty fed up right now.

I am hoping it will improve as the bump turns into a proper bump and I don't feel so self-conscious about the puffy look I'm sporting at the moment.

I just remember being in a slight state of bliss last time. I'm not so sure this time!

limason Wed 20-Jul-11 19:20:36

Thank you everyone for your replies - they have really put my mind at rest. It doesn't feel so bad feeling sick and exhausted all the time (even tho it's supposed to have settled down by now) or bloated and frumpy! I have been dealing with rubbish skin and hair this time around too, and have managed to trap a nerve in my back which sends shooting pain down my leg, and another nerve which stops me turning my head and makes my shoulder ache at the same time - did them both while trying to get comfy for a good night's sleep. It doesn't seem anywhere near as bad now that I know I'm not alone, and by far! smile Thanks again everyone x

Davinaaddict Wed 20-Jul-11 21:30:05

I'm only 6+5 but already there is a massive difference between this pregnancy and my first sad. I sailed through my first pregnancy with hardly anything other than a growing bump and lots of chill out vibes (although I had a traumatic birth to make up for that blush). This time, lots of severe nausea & wind blush, and exhausted all the time so far - I know that these are only minor things compared to some, but just hoping it wont get worse confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now