Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is manuka honey safe during pregnancy?

(4 Posts)
Roxanne123 Sat 16-Jul-11 06:26:35

Hi ladies!! over the moon i am pregnant again only 5 weeks 4 days hope this one goes well after m/c 3months ago.. I am very wary this time over!! I take manuka honey every day as im prone to sore throats and bad stomachs! is this safe?
xx

Badgerwife Sat 16-Jul-11 14:11:46

I haven't heard it wasn't, and I had tea with honey in it during pregnancy. I think it's giving honey to a baby that's not good.

CBear6 Sat 16-Jul-11 15:34:56

Honey is perfectly safe in pregnancy, it's only infant under the age of twelve months who can't have it smile

Oeisha Sat 16-Jul-11 18:33:22

It's fine, I asked my MW as it seemed like a sensible thing to have when I had a viscious cold a few weeks back (paracetamol and ginger infusions with honey ftw, I am on a citrus-free diet due to migraines). The botulism spore risk only applies to infant's who's gut flora won't have fully developed yet. Because your gut will destroy the spores it can't pass through the placenta or through breast milk...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now