Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

considering 3rd baby but had 2 prev CS.

(11 Posts)
sahara78 Fri 15-Jul-11 22:19:34

I really really want a 3rd baby, I have had 2 prev sections and aware of all the risks associated with a 3rd. The worst one being placenta accreta.

What makes me more nervous is my platelet levels dropped v low last time and I am sure that mixed with placenta accreta is not a good combination.

Has anyone experienced accreta? I was talking to a man today and his wife had it, had the baby monday and lost all her blood eeek! Her and baby are OK now but it sounded vvvvv scary

I really would like to talk to a consultant obst before I go ahead, any ideas about how I go about that?

thx xxx

HarrietJones Fri 15-Jul-11 22:40:48

I've had 3 sections , I recently found out I had a PPH in theatre but no one told me at the time so I assume it wasn't that bad( I read it on my GP notes)
I plan to speak to a consultant pre-dc4 if we decide to go for it

Yama Fri 15-Jul-11 22:45:36

No experience but my Mum had 4 sections in the 1970's.

imip Sun 17-Jul-11 05:41:14

No experience of accreta either, but I have had three sections and (all going well) will have my 4th next feb. I've always had high risk pregnancies for other reasons and under consultant care. My consultant said 3-4 c-sections max, but the record at my hospital was 8! Off to google accreta to give me more to worry about!

imip Sun 17-Jul-11 05:42:21

Sorry, to answer your final question, 2 c-sections at my hosp is high risk, and therefore you see a consultant - ask your midwife...

imip Sun 17-Jul-11 05:54:49

Crikey, a little freaked out! With my second section i did have placenta previa, which destroyed my vbac plans. But a blood vessel near my cervix could have been the babies and they baby would have bleed out. They took this risk seriously and had plenty of blood (they had to make it, I don't understand this but my c-section was delayed while they made up my blood) on standby. Then with my third section the placenta did adhere and it was all hands on deck to rip it out. I see these problems as related to my sections though I haven't been told that. But my hospital isn't so good on the communication front. My consultant is normally a pretty negative man. I lost my first dd (vaginal birth) and he was pretty negative about our odds of ever having a surviving baby. In my succeding pregnancies, he was always much more optimisitc about the outcome, so I sort of worried less, which is why I was happy to go for a fourth section. HTH...

frantic51 Sun 17-Jul-11 05:57:27

I've had three sections with no problem. The consultant I was under for the first two put the limit, for safety, at three. The consultant who delivered no 3 said she would be happy for me to have up to five if I wished.

(I did wish but ex h didn't sad )


ragged Sun 17-Jul-11 06:20:44

Ask your GP to refer you.
Friends had 4 & 5 CS; only one of those a bad experience (but both her & baby okay in the end).
You really need individual advice, I would have thought. Doctors are cautious and will tend to tell you not to risk anything, on fairly logical grounds, really, but it's your decision in the end.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Sun 17-Jul-11 10:11:11

I have had 2 cs & pregnant with baby number 3 & no one, other than scare mongering friends who have been lucky enough to have vb & don't even consider cs as giving birth, have said anything about a limit on cs. Last time my consultant told me there was very little scar tissue but that was the only comment made. I had fears when ttc as my epidural didn't work with elcs & I felt myself being cut & had to have a ga & my gp offered to refer me to a consultant before I was pregnant but talking to her reassured me enough. Why not have a chat with your gp?

catsareevil Sun 17-Jul-11 10:17:23

I have had 2 CS and at the last one was advised that I should not consider having more than 1 further section, but that was specific to me. I was told by the surgeon after the CS, and given advise about how they would proceed re the timing of a CS if I did become pregnant again.
If you do want another baby then you could ask your GP to refer you to the hospital for a discussion about it. The best thing would be if you could see the person who did your last CS.

sahara78 Sun 17-Jul-11 20:31:24

Thanks Ladies,

all interesting stuff, I did sleak to my Dr and he said qhy not quit while you are ahead, you have one of each blah blah.

I am not sure he will refer me and I don't know which Obst did the op. Can he refuse a referral?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: