Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will the midwife give me a sweep if head not fully engaged? And what IS fully engaged?

(4 Posts)
JimmyChoo17 Fri 15-Jul-11 21:51:35

hi
I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow and am booked in for a first sweep attempt this Monday. So far I don't think baby's head has engaged but looking online there seems to be big risks at attempting a sweep if head not engaged (cord prolapse from what I can see) mw didn't tell me this was a risk, I did ask her risks but she was very aloof. I am annoyed that if there are risks she never told me when I asked. I will be asking her again before she starts poking around but wondering what others have experienced or have been told.

But wondering if they feel my pelvis and head is still not slightly engaged or fully engaged, will they still attempt a sweep? This is my first so just wondering what your experience is ladies?

Also what is classed as fully engaged? Babys head has popped down before but mw said it's not fixed but free....I keep reading people quoting fractions. What's a good fraction!?

JimmyChoo17 Fri 15-Jul-11 21:53:28

Ps am bouncing away on birthing ball in attempt to get head down!

Paschaelina Fri 15-Jul-11 21:53:54

5/5 is just dipping below the pelvis I think. 1/5 is fully engaged. I had a sweep but i can't remember whether I was fully engaged or not, the last one I remember was 3/5 so possibly not.

fatandknackered Fri 15-Jul-11 21:56:38

I think they can only sweep if you are 1cm or so dilated. Not sure it has anything to do with head being engaged? eg with DC2 head didn't engage until in labour (normal for 2nd and later children I think?) but I still had a sweep as was 1.5cm at 40+1. Def got things going!

Good luck all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now